PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Had some fun with this one- It's a cross-grain horn with Cumberland stem...somewhat inspired by the shape of a Manta Ray....just finished it tonight...time for a beer!

2hgbifo.jpg

2ppkol3.jpg

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Zack you brought me back to my father's shrimp boat, had rays in catch and buddy you better watch out for that barb grab um and immobilized the tail turn.it over and face looks like a monkey, beautiful piece.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Bradley, one of these days, just for you, I'm going to carve a crawfish...:)

Jan 8, 2013
Zack, you carve some amazingly gorgeous pipes. I don't really like the shape of this one, although I do like horns, but it's still beautiful in a way, and I love that stem. You do amazing work. I can't wait to see more.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks guys! One thing I love about making pipes is that you can start with a block of wood and go traditional or get totally wild with it...and if there's ten guys in the room, they'll have totally different opinions about which style they like. Keeps it interesting for me! I'll do one more fairly realistic shape for the Vegas Show- the problem with doing pipes like this is that they eat big blocks of time- I think just the hand sanding on the pipe and stem was over ten hours...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I think just the hand sanding on the pipe and stem was over ten hours...
I can believe that, with all of those profile changes. I can spend over an hour just restoring an old stem which is childs play compared to that stem!

Dec 24, 2012
Zack - this is one of those pipes that I couldn't see myself smoking, but I am nonetheless in awe of the skill and artistry that went into it. Well done.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Not too sure Harris- need to get a scale before I leave for Italy...but's it's surprisingly light...There's a minimal amount of briar surrounding a 2.5" deep chamber (used the new 4mm drill set on this one- VERY open...- think I have that part of the puzzle solved)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Dude! Great looking pipe. It reminds me more of a Tremor than a Manta Ray though.
You remember TREMORS don't you? haha.
Edit: The monsters are called Graboids. haha. You made a killer Graboid pipe sir!

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks Dread...I always like the lines to flow from every angle...came close to it on this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.