Man Glitter? I Reckon You Could Call It That.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
New Cigars
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So I love to work with wood and make things. All shapes, all sizes, all types of wood, even African Padauk (which I would never in a million years recommend working with for anybody, especially if you like to, you know, breathe?). So in my searching through more curious plans of different ideas, I fell across this and this it pretty much sums it up, if there was such a thing as Man Glitter, this has to be it, and I'll admit it, I wear it proudly, in my beard, hair, down my shirt and sorts of other ill-conceived places.
sawdust_20is_20man_20glitter_20shirt_grande.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
even African Padauk (which I would never in a million years recommend working with for anybody, especially if you like to, you know, breathe?).
I have a 5"x5"x3" block of African Padauk that I started to make a pipe rest out of...definitely wear a mask and googles. If I ever finish the pipe rest, I'll post pics.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I reluctantly gave my table saw away. I kept having these awful visions of running a board through and taking a digit with it. Now I don't have nightmares, and still with eight fingers and two thumbs....

I've never had the fear of cutting myself. When using tools like that, I just try to stay super aware of where my hands and digits are in relation to the tool's bite.

I have cut myself more times with my jeweler's saw, which is like a micro version of a coping saw. It's like having hundreds of papercuts.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I have a 5"x5"x3" block of African Padauk that I started to make a pipe rest out of...definitely wear a mask and googles. If I ever finish the pipe rest, I'll post pics.
Yeah, it's some pretty nasty stuff. Not to mention that when I ripped a lot of pieces down to make a cutting board a while back, I usually did it outside. That stuff has such a bright red color and the dust is so fine, it actually can look like blood when you're sweating. It was hard to keep from raising a knife in the air with it all over me, with the saw going and neighbors driving by in shock. :rofl:
I never thought about the tobacco, but now there's a new thing tell people. "Never mind the man glitter, it just wouldn't fit in the pipe, so I wear it proudly!" :rofl:
I haven't cut myself...yet, knock on wood, but accidents can happen. Like Cosmic, I just make sure I'm very aware of the blade and what I'm cutting. I make sure to use the push sticks I have and make to keep my fingers away from that blade. You'll cut yourself faster with a dull blade than a fresh one just due to the force you try to use to make it cut. I've got more scars from using dull utility knives when I did construction than using a fresh one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe a little off topic, but I walked into this woodworking store, big floor space, many high end wood working tools and machines, table saws, lathes, etc. So I got the idea, and asked, very deferentially, if they sold tool boxes. I might have asked if they sold toy tool kits. The white-haired gent at the counter smiled with quiet condescension and admitted, they sold no tool boxes. I'd guess the average sale there is several hundred dollars going well into the thousands for the real machinery. Man glitter.

MSO, I know exactly the look you got. It is the reason I am reluctant to go to "specialty" stores. Welding supply places are the worst. If you don't know the exact name of a whatchamacallit, then they will all laugh and start elbo-ing the buddies. Bicycle shops will actually refuse to work on a bike with nose held high in the air if it is not an expensive name brand. Snootiness.

This is what I like the best about a pipe shop. Almost 80% of everyone who enters is totally ignorant, and they get treated well, and educated. Unless you ask Skip for a corn cob or a Grabow... then we all just duck for cover to weather the storm that comes. :puffy:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, I've been there. I've perused those expensive machines a few times. Seems they will sell you the plans to make your OWN tool box and the tools to make it, at a hefty premium. I couldn't believe the cost of that stuff. Every time I go in I start looking for the "poor man section".

Status
Not open for further replies.