PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Who has one? Who wants one? I know for me there is no choice. Between my pipe cleaning, gun cleaning, rifle restorations I'm doing, and pipe restorations I want to start, a dedicated "me space" is needed. Next year is house shopping and I have already decided that if there isn't enough room in the garage for a man cave then I'm going to build a "man shed". I was looking on the net for ideas and I must say that there are a few!! Also it has occurred to me that heating a smaller shed in the winter would be cheaper and easier then heating a whole garage. A shed about 10x8 I think would be lots of room for my projects and room for me and a few friends to enjoy a pipe. Thoughts?

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
This has been discussed before, but I will post a picture of my den(actually the spare bedroom). Houses all of MY stuff. Has changed a bit, but you get the idea.

Every man needs space for himself. I usually go here when my wife is watching something I don't want or she is in bed.

nscoyote

Might Stick Around
Oct 19, 2013
I dont have a mancave so to speak, my shop has wifi, a woodstove, light, stereo, bbq and comfy seating. but i spend most of my time in there working on bikes.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Assuming that we manage to complete the house purchase on a shortsale, I'll be in man-cave mode in December. Starts with red and white diamond plate flooring in a 450' garage, a false wall at the back for storage and hiding the 7.5hp compressor. Butcher block countertops on all the workbenches for my pipemaking. A leather couch and chair with big screen tv, and a beer refrigerator with some tasty brews...

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have a 10x8 shed that works fine for me, might be a touch small for a few guys to come over though. I can get 2 of us in there with all my other gear and that's about it. I think a 10x10 would be ideal if you have the room.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Coming along nice Pylorns, although you look like you brought a LOT of sanding work to yourself with the many cuts in the sheetrock. Is that because you were working and hanging alone?

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
@yazamitaz pretty much either myself or my father in law who helped with the sheetrock/floating. The 10x12 room is a bit awkward because it didn't have evenly spaced studs and there is a LOT of power in there so in a lot of cases it was easier for us in some cases to do smaller sheets.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Here's my Man Cave:
10749139054_91e0c3ce23_c.jpg

10749324373_98cc0ea71c_c.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I've posted pics before of my basement rec room/cave, but this summer I repainted it and did a few other things. I'll post pics again eventually, as it's not really done yet.
However, the big job I did was to pull out all the carpeting and replace it with resilient vinyl tile. It's really made a huge difference in terms of lingering pipe smells down there. It doesn't get rid of it of course, but it's a great improvement.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Given Colorado's highly variable weather (and temperatures), I'm thinking that a "Man-Shed" would be an ideal solution when we move into our next house - the current one has a postage stamp sized back yard and a very picky HOA... I grew up in a 10x10 bedroom, so I suspect that would be about the right size for a den. We're planning to look for a 2-car garage for storage and shop space.

mikeklumpp

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2013
hong kong
hong kong has the highest rent in the world - i would love a man cave but here i am happy to have a corner by the window where i smoke - in texas i had a 10x8 shed - only problem was if i hd company - work space + lounge space + the rest of my crap - did not leave room for more tha one visitor

Status
Not open for further replies.