PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Sorry, this isn't a recipe for a horrid beverage. . .
A couple of weeks ago I bid on an eBay tin of A&C Petersen Caledonian Curly-Cut Melange #410, a delicious blend I first discovered in the mid-80s. It was being sold by a man who discovered his late father's stash of 28 tins, in their original boxes. (This blend has been out of production since the early 1990s.) I won the bidding.
You should know that this tobacco was a spun-cut VA/perique, with some kind of amazingly seductive top note added to it. You should also know that I've learned I simply can't smoke perique without a bad physical reaction. But I had enjoyed this blend so much -- it's near-mythical for me -- I was willing to suffer the consequences just to have another go.
I knew something was wrong the minute I opened the package. Rust spots on the tin. I opened it and discovered that the top note was completely gone, the tobacco completely dried out. It wasn't going to be the experience I'd hoped for.
I explained the situation to the seller, who offered to replace my tin with one showing no signs of rust. But I declined. After all -- even though we all wink at each other about it -- the eBay listing clearly states that the auction is for the tin, not the tobacco. And I believed the seller had no idea what a few tiny rust spots could do to a sealed tin. So I decided to keep the tin and rehydrate it. I'd never get that topping back. But maybe I could do something else with this "lemon."
Since I'm extremely sensitive to perique, I've decided to use this tin as a training tool. I'm filling my pipes nearly full of other blends, then topping them with either a coin or a pinch from the VA/per blend. Believe it or not, that small amount is still quite strong in my mouth. But I figure if I do this for a couple of weeks, I might be able to build up my tolerance for perique to the point where I might be able to smoke some blends I must now avoid.
Will it work? Who knows. But I know I've come to look forward to that hit of hot pepper spice in my bowl. And while the Melange #410 isn't the blend I'd hoped for, it might be the blend I really need right now to broaden my experience. (And, yes, I've since corresponded a bit with that eBay seller, encouraging him to mention and show any signs of rust on future tins he puts up for sale.)
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Cortez:
You must have skipped past my first post in that thread, where I wrote:
"I typically have a very bad physical reaction to the tiniest amount of perique. But I'm trying to see if I can somehow "train" myself away from that. Here's what I'm doing:
"I've got a 30-year-old tin of a wonderful but long-discontinued VA/Per from A&C Petersen. It comes in a dime-size spun cut. I'm filling my pipes with either a mild VA or a fairly mild aromatic (like Signature or Nougat), and placing a single VA/Per coin on top. Believe it or not, that one coin is currently just about as much perique as I can currently stand in a smoke.
"But my aged VA/Per isn't going to last forever. And if I want to keep experimenting with this, I'm going to need a replacement. I'd love to hear suggestions -- but I'm only looking for dime-size cuts right now."
Bob

A few moths ago, there were a few strings of posts about someone trying to change to a low acid diet to build up their tolerance for red Virginias. I never saw any reports on how that worked for them, but sometimes it's the acidity that causes the reactions to higher acidity tobaccos.
I'm not sure what your specific reactions are, and wouldn't know much about it if you told me. But, I thought it was worth a suggestion, if no one has suggested it already.
I'm in a similar situation. A buddy of mine gave me a thirty year old tin of Robert McConnell's labeled Oriental, which he told me was a Turkish blend, but it turned out to be latakia, which reacts with me like acid in my mouth. And, the age has seemed to condense down whatever it is that reacts with me. You have more bravado than me. I'm just going to gift out this tin to friends at the briary, as the last time I pushed it with a latakia, I split my tongue wide open. Those few days without being able to smoke seemed like an eternity.

Good luck with all of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.