PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I have.

I don't know how bendable bamboo is. I made this pipe at the Chicago pipe making seminar a few years ago with the help of master pipe makers like Alex Florov and Brian Ruthenberg, and without them I don't know if I would have gotten this done. Bamboo is kinda tough to work with (scratches VERY easily). Ryan Alden (aka Lonestar) had a bamboo stemmed churchwarden for sale at the Chicago Show this past May. You may want to reach out to him and get his input, but my opinion is that it's not necessarily something you just do. You may need professional help.
Good luck.
JJ

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think bamboo is somewhat difficult to blend with other materials. When it works, it is

really striking, but many pipes using bamboo can tend to look patched together; the

bamboo doesn't quite fit. This pipe looks great, the shape of the briar really flowing into

the shank, impressive. Also, I would wonder about the tendency of bamboo to split, as it

does in other applications in furniture. With furniture, minor splitting can be accepted,

since it doesn't affect the strength or appearance of the piece that much, but in a pipe,

that would require some sophisticated repair, more than the basic job. Never mind all

that; this is a magnificent pipe. Now, back to my Missouri Meerschaum!

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Greg, I've seen bamboo at Pipe Makers Eporium (no affileation) and on ebay, I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.