PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Me and my buddies go camping/hunting all the time. I personally love to make a fire with a flint and steel. One of my buddies decided he liked it too. I decided I wanted to try char cloth, so im making enough for both of us to see if it works.
Just something fun to do every once and a while and Im trying something new, I figured I would share

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
And for those of you who dont know what char cloth is, you take some cotton cloth (tshirt, rag, or in my case a bit of an old flannel blanket) and 'bake' it. Its very smoky work so to bake it, you put it in a tin can, with a little opening and throw it on the BBQ until its black and stops smoking.
After that you only need a little tiny bit to catch a spark, it smolders very well and makes firemaking with flint and steel much easier. They have videos on youtube.

rd02sir

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2011
I've seen it used on Survivorman. Seems really neat. Get some whale blubber, and you can make a candle! Lol

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Hey its just somethin fun to try, just finished my first batch, doesnt seem to work too well, havent actually tried it with muy flint though, may work better

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Dryer lint + Paraffin wax = fire store in pill bottle.
That does work great, I have used that on many an occasion, I just figured I would try something real traditional

Status
Not open for further replies.