PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
Since starting my journey into pipe smoking a few days ago I have had a few issues. Being new to this it was unclear to me what was wrong, but technique was certainly in question. Tonight, as I sat by the pool under cover of darkness with only a faint glimpse of the big dipper to light my smoking experience, it happened.
I was having issues with moisture and poor draw which to my novice palette indicated the bowl going sour. The bowl was emptied, pipe cooled down and then cleaned and a new filter installed. I repacked, focusing on my packing technique as I thought that could be a likely suspect. Char light, check. Second light, check. Third light, damn it I have the same problem as before.
Bowl was emptied and the above process was repeated, minus one step. While inserting the filter I paused and thought could this filter be holding moisture, thus making the draw more restricted, causing me to stop sipping and in fact start to gulp on my pipe? I removed the filter and told Houston I was ready for lift off.
After being cleared for launch I sank back into a normal, relaxed breathing routine. Houston, we have a go, I repeat, we have a go. I just finished a fantastic 45 minute orbit through smokers utopia!! Bowl never went out, did not heat up, smoke did not sour and not 1 hint of tongue bite. I feel for the first time in 5 days that I have experienced a wonderful pipe smoke.
My new pipe arrives tomorrow with 2 tins for me to taste. I am so glad I figured this out tonight. Such a nice, relaxing smoke under the stars. The first of many to come in the upcoming weekend.
Regards,

Carbon

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Sounds like a great experience. Sometimes filters can serve to concentrate moisture, rather than remove it.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Glad you got it working for you.
I remove the filters from all my filtered pipes as well. Despite hearing the warnings that too open of a draw may cause problems, I've had nothing but great smokes without the filters.
I do use the "filter adapter" that came with my Savinelli Roma 626, but on the others I just yank the filters out and never look back. ESPECIALLY my MM cobs. I LOVE the way they smoke with a wide-open draw :)

Sep 18, 2015
I found that for me the charcoal filter was making me work to hard too get any taste/nic and as a result I was over smoking the tobacco. I tried the aftermarket adapters but they don't fit very well, I switched to the balsa filters and I am okay with the results, the draw is good and they don't seem to affect the taste too much.

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
I removed the filter too, I think it make you draw harder when smoking, also what an awesome way to pass the night.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have one friend who uses filters but he inhales. He also stops smoking from time to time to as he says "Let his lungs feel better". I am personally liking the open draw and effortless puff more and more. I have never used a filter and don't inhale.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
CONGRATS!
The only ones I leave the filters in are the Sav's with the balsa filters. I can't notice a difference with or without it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I smoke my filtered Savs sometimes with, sometimes without. Just fine either way, and like ditzy, - sorry autocorrect changes that, not me!- FITZY!— like fitzy, I can't tell much of a difference.

chuckp

Might Stick Around
Nov 30, 2015
I'm very new to pipe smoking as well, I use the paper filter because my mouth feels better afterward with it than without it, and I've no prior mileage with nicotine at all so I notice a huge difference in how my mouth feels......I change the filter every 1 to 2 bowls with no restriction in draw noticeable with my MM. I have read a recommendation (Seattle Pipe Club) that the filter should be changed every bowl, as drawing on a filter too laden with nicotine can be more risky than no filter at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.