PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
I have noticed that some of the members here use DIP, or has used DIP. So some of you might find it interesting in how I make my own.
IMG_20160105_051137_zpsdahmvxfq.jpg

Here is a packet of raw tobacco, natrium clorid, glykol and natrium carbonat
IMG_20160105_051329_zpsckci5nvj.jpg

Thats 1kg of raw tobacco
IMG_20160105_051349_zpsgee20uiz.jpg

The bags of NaCl, NaC and Glycol
IMG_20160105_052026_zpswyam57k3.jpg

I boil 1 liter of water, to get rid of the bacterias
IMG_20160105_052204_zpsifksosd0.jpg

I mix the Natrium Clorid with water, You can actually also just use regular table salt
IMG_20160105_052451_zpsrbqs2liu.jpg

Then I mix the water and salt, with the raw tobacco. Its important to wet the tobacco. The tobacco who is not moist will not fermentate and that makes the tobacco poisoned.
IMG_20160105_053612_zps0jbjd8yn.jpg

Then I place the tobacco in a regular rice cooker, it will now start the fermentation process. It takes from 3 to 7 days depending on the tobacco. When its dark, allmost black its finished. Every 24 hours I have to take it out of the cooker, to make sure its no dry-spots. The rice cooker will provide a steady heat of 60 degrees

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
After the fermentation I will add glycol, that makes the tobacco hold the moisture. And another salt mixture.

This time I will make some DIP with taste, planning on mixing in espresso coffee. But you can use everything you have in the kitchen like spices etc or buy tasters, with whiskey, vanilla etc from different shops.
The cost of Snus/dip here is about 12 USD per 50g. When this is done the cost is less than 50 pence pr 50g :D

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice write-up and pics ... I don't do snus / dip but always love seeing the DIY threads. :clap:

Mar 1, 2014
I have to wonder if this peocess isn't somehow applicable to pipe tobacco too.
Ground tobacco would burn really well, and who knows what would happen to Perique in a rice cooker?

Better yet, what about a pressure cooker?

oldtoby

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2011
Very nice.
Can I purchase some from you? I'd love to try it. Non flavoured, of course.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Can I purchase some from you? I'd love to try it. Non flavoured, of course.
Sure, something can be arranged.Free of charge. I just send some to you so you can taste. But after the 12th
Better yet, what about a pressure cooker?
For sure it is, but then you should get another raw tobacco, or better yet tobacco leafs I think. Im not growing my own tobacco cause i just live in a small flat now. But I will in the future. When fermentation is done on smoking tobacco, its done under alot cooler temps, and it takes longer time. When fermenting tobacco leaves, you just hang them outside and spraying them with water. When they are dry and done fermenting, you rehydrate them as I understand
Its just a nice hobby for me this. Its fun to experiment, and my friends really like it

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Ive started to make the coating or tasting additives
IMG_20160105_080958_zpsy6kkxcvs.jpg

From left to right is: Caramel sauce, Milk choclate sauce, Vanilla sauce (the ones the barrista use in latte), cinnamon and Chai tea.
IMG_20160105_081205_zpscgxmzafr.jpg

Here is the portion dips that I made a several months ago. Im going to use those as taster-tests. Im drying them just abit on papertowel before adding the taste-additive.
IMG_20160105_081309_zps3wyozjoi.jpg

Heating up, but not boiling Water,Choclate sauce, caramel sauce and just a tiny bit vannilla (to much as it turned out).

I had to add some choclate sauce until the caramel sauce was the second taste and the vannilla just in the background.
IMG_20160105_082143_zpsj3escabg.jpg

Then I add espresso coffe until the coffee taste is the clearest taste and the choclate/caramel taste is just in the background.
IMG_20160105_082452_zpsomktclvz.jpg

Then I add the mix into a dip-box. I usually use ziplock bags but just wanted to try this. About one teaspoon is enough for a whole tin usually

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Thank you Geirove, this has been quite informative and interesting as well. I don't dip or use Snus, but it is neat to see how it's made.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
Nice write up!
As a long time dip maker I can tell you that 8 hours is sufficient to cook your dip. All you are doing is pasteurizing the tobacco at that point. This is the process the big Nordic companies use. It's main purpose is to prevent the formation of Tobacco Specific Nitrosamines. With "old" tobacco, they have already formed so there is no sense in cooking it so long. Another thing the moisture and high temp does is to start a Maillard reaction which improves the flavor profile. My 8hr dip tastes the same as when I used to cook for 24 hrs.
BTW, LorAnn Oils has some really nice concentrated flavoring. Maple, Wintergreen, Anise etc.
It appears that the tobacco came with the kit? If so, do you know what kind of tobacco it is?

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
As a long time dip maker I can tell you that 8 hours is sufficient to cook your dip
Ive tried that, my friend did aswell. The result was horrible we have found. It says in the reciepe that it should cook on 100 degrees for 24 hours. The first thing I do is to throw away the recipe. What tobacco or set do you use? It did not say on this packet what tobacco it is. Sorry.
The fermentation prosess continues 5-7 days after the tobacco has turned dark according to the snus producers.
Fermentation means sweating, and for regular smoking tobacco it takes 5-8 weeks. The recomended heat is about 50-55 (130F). I use 60. To rush the prosess only makes the amonia levels to high, and the enzyms not leaving the tobacco or?
But im quite interested in how you can make it so fast. Ive learned with tobacco that age is good, in every prosess. Maybe you are using a tobacco that is treated?

Swedish match, who is the main Nordic company use cigar leafs from the Dominican republic

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Actually here it says, cook it for 36 hours. But cannot find what type of tobacco it is.
I think its a mix of Virginia and Burley, at least it says on their webpage for a similar product.

geirove

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2014
Im reading now about your points about TSN. Thanks for the input, its seriously something to investigate. On what temp are you cooking it for 8 hours?

May 31, 2012
Hejsan!

Min svensk är dålig eftersom jag inte har läst eller skrivit på länge.
Jag älskar din idé,

clockren!
Skitcoolt!
Jag är en gammal Saab fanatiker, därför försökte jag lära mig den sanna språket.
900t16 är bäst!
...I do not dip, but I think this thread is very interesting.
Thanks for sharing the technique and pictures,

quite clever stuff.
I didn't know people made their own dip, so it's an eye opener.
Fascinating.

:clap:

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
I process at 85 degrees C.

I use tobacco that I grow. Anything from air dried Virginia to Burley.. and everything in between. I have tailored my recipe for my particular tastes. I use about 1/4 the salt, no carbonate anymore. I also add A LOT of sucralose because I like a sweet tasting dip.
I should mention that I do not think a regular slow cooker can obtain 85 degreees. I pack my dip into mason jars. Place into a water filled crock pot and cook for 8 hrs. I maintain the temperature through a Ranco Thermostat. I do not add any flavoring until after the 8 hr. process. I think the hight temp would drive off the flavor constituents.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Great thread, it's a goal of mine to make some snus with my home grown some day. What did you use to make your portions? I was going to make lös but if there is an easy way to put it in portions I'd want to look into that.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Great post! Thanks for all the photos.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
What did you use to make your portions
I don't make portions. I make a few pint jars at a time. I keep one on the counter and freeze the rest. The addition of Glycerine prevents any mold from forming. I carry around a small stainless steel container that holds about a day's supply. I just grab a pinch or so as needed.
It sure is nice when I go somewhere and the "No Smoking" signs are displayed. I just grab some dip and leave my pipe in my truck.

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
Hey jitterbugdude, I was actually referring to geirove's second set of pictures where he is adding flavouring to some portions. I agree with you, smokeless can definitely be convenient at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.