PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mephistopheles

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2014
Hello all,
I sent out a bunch of friend requests earlier this evening. I'm not sure if that's a practice that's taken seriously on this site or not. I see that some of you folks know each other on some level and I wish I had more of a personal connection with other pipe smokers like yourselves.
I've been a member on here since October. I've come to you guys with all kinds of questions and you've helped me with everything. I have no one to learn from locally. I'm a college student in my early twenties in a world full of pipes and tobacco. You guys have been a great source of entertainment and knowledge for me for a while now and I really appreciate it.
Just another message from your friendly neighborhood Mephistopheles.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I get that. Picked up the pipe 23 years ago, and didn't have the benefit of the internet or forums. Was all trial and error back then. My only outlet for pipe discussions was an ocassional trip to a B&M 30 miles away. Now being older and more experienced in the hobby, it's a joy to help newcomers. Even have a few young converts that I work with that I am helping along. Having someone to talk with about our hobby is a wonderful experience.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
You guys have been a great source of entertainment and knowledge for me for a while now and I really appreciate it.
I think anyone doing research on pipe smoking ends up here whether they like it or not. This forum has been fundamental in my becoming a proficient pipe smoker.
I'm glad you've decided to stick around a while!

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Much the same thoughts here.

Started with pipes Xmas last year after fags and cigars.

I don't know anyone who smokes a pipe, so the advice on here has helped me a lot, thank you.

Can we all man hug now?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thanks meph'. Don't know if I'll go the "friend" route. All I can do to keep up with Forums itself, but feel

free to PM any time you think I might have useful info or one of my outside the box opinions that might

be useful or entertaining. I always enjoy your posts.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Mep got your friend request, feel free to PM me, I"m an old fart who doesn't do Facebook ,linkadink, or Rinkadink but I"m so glad to post pics here and that is the extent of my computer skills.Kids on my case to learn how to text, finally did,now wife doesn't leave me alone to text kids, should of kept quite about that. LOL

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
For the record, tbradsim does do rinkadink but you have to catch him on a good day. I've found the friending on this site fairly useless, but please feel free to PM with ?s and thoughts at your leisure.
-- Pat

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
back in the early days of this site getting a friend request was more of "welcome to the site" thing and intro to the club atmosphere back then. There are quite a few more members here today so the friend thing maybe somewhat of an anachronism but I still see it as a friendly gesture on the odd occasion that I get a request. I'd never refuse one.

indianafrank

Oct 15, 2014
meph, I came to the forum in October as well. I've learned a lot, and I've been fortunate to meet a few very nice gents through PM. And for the most part my total experience here has been a positive one.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
Got your friend request and accepted it. Thanks for sending it.
Like @chasingembers I first picked up the pipe over 20 years ago and it was all trial and error. I didn't even know the difference between aromatic and non-aromatic blends, I assumed all pipe tobaccos smelled like cherries or vanilla. My first pipe smoking attempt ended in discouragement and failure as a result of continually burning the crap out of my tongue by smoking aromatics in a cheap horrible smoking pipe. I tried it again a few years later and on the advice of a good tobacconist bought a better pipe (a Barling) and tried English blends and was hooked.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Much the same thoughts here.

Started with pipes Xmas last year after fags and cigars.

I don't know anyone who smokes a pipe, so the advice on here has helped me a lot, thank you.

Can we all man hug now?
When "fag" and "man hug" are included in the same paragraph, i get the inkling to send a friend request myself! :rofl:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I started a thread a while back to ask what it meant to be friended, since I don't do Facebook, Linkadink or Rinkadink either. Turns out it doesn't really mean much. This thread might help:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/being-friended#post-706641

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
I started a thread a while back to ask what it meant to be friended, since I don't do Facebook, Linkadink or Rinkadink either. Turns out it doesn't really mean much. This thread might help:
On this referenced thread user ericthered said "If somebody "friends" you, it gives the both of you access to see things that the other has posted to their profile. For instance, I save all my pictures that I post to the forum in the Album feature of my profile. Only people who've "friended" me can go into my profile and peruse ALL of the pictures that I've uploaded.
There is also a Message feature that you can communicate privately with people that you're "friends" with, separate from the Private Message feature of the forum.
The Wire feature looks to be a twitter-like function that you could write things and everyone you're "friends" with would be able to see it. That's pure speculation, I haven't played around with it to figure it out."
This sound worth looking into. Friend request sent, mephistopheles

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I fully question the sanity of anyone who makes the conscious choice to call themselves my friend. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.