PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
So I'm looking at Blending Tobaccos at 4 Noggins (someone just said "uh oh... he smokes a pipe for a while, and now he thinks he's Russ Ouellette") and thinking it would be kinda cool to grab a little Cavendish, add some Burley, mix in a little Virginia, and throw in a pinch (or two) of Latakia and come up with my own little Tobacco Blend. It would be something with a cool name like Anthony's Stuff, or King Anthony's Stuff, or His Royal Highness the Great Emperor Ruler Of All and Supreme Leader's Puffin' Stuff.
But... what if I wanted to make an aromatic? How does one go about that? Say I wanted to make a vanilla/brown sugar/rum/something else really sickly sweet and awesomely tasty and smelly that makes you think your in an ice cream candy store/chocolatey tobacco? How is this done?

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
But... what if I wanted to make an aromatic? How does one go about that? Say I wanted to make a vanilla/brown sugar/rum/something else really sickly sweet and awesomely tasty and smelly that makes you think your in an ice cream candy store/chocolatey tobacco? How is this done?
Haters gotta hate, and snobs gotta snob.

Jan 8, 2013
Well Zekest.. I'm neither a hater or a snob. I tend to like aromatics and I'm quite serious about my questions posted above. Forgive me if I tried to use a little humor in the process.
Thanks for the Link Roth :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It might sound a little lazy, and perhaps it is, but one way to play around with mixing some of the aromatic

flavors is to use a flavored Cavendish and mix it with a pure Virginia and a pure Burley. I've used

McClellands red Virginia cake, and Lane's Burley Without Bite, and added some Altadis/Sutliff Wild Cherry.

You get some good strong tobacco flavor and a little zing of cherry. You could use similarly flavored

Cavendish with vanilla, chocolate, or whatever you like. I like the approach because it doesn't involve

putting the tobacco under pressure, aging it, or infusing flavors -- that's real blending, and I leave it to

the pros, who I greatly respect. Not expecting to equal their skills, I enjoy doing small quantities of mixes

(not really blends) as the mood strikes. Most of the results are pretty good. With a good Virginia and a

good Burley -- if you like those tobaccos -- you can't go too far wrong.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks for this link Roth. I thought it was very informative and well captured how many aro smokes feel.
I even referred to this endeavor as a “vacation” in several of my online reviews. It was a term that announced, “I’m not really an aromatic smoker, just a dabbler.” It was my way of distinguishing me as a supercilious smoker of “real” tobaccos and not one of the poor, lost pipe smokers that actually enjoyed aromatics as a regular smoke. After all, aromatics were for beginners. It was the stuff that showed up in your local drug store and as one who is “in the hobby,” I had a perceived reputation to protect!
I dont see much Aro snobbery here... but a little. :roll:

Jan 8, 2013
good ideas guys, and thanks for the replies. But how do you go about actually making an aro? Where do you get the flavors? If I wanted to add honey, for instance, would I actually use honey? Or how about cherry (I probably wouldn't make cherry, but if i did), I doubt you would use cherry syrup lol.
How do i go about making a casing or an essence?

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
Candy making oils?. Super potent. And should be avail this time of year. Also the home brew outlets have flavorings and extracts for home distilled alcohols that might be worth a shot.
I admire the moxy. Keep us posted.
....were such enablers. Lol

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
If you want to apply a top dressing to make your own aromatic, I suggest using extracts, not oils. The way aros are made at the factory, the top dressing is applied at the end using flavors with an alcohol base (extracts are also alcohol-beased). The reason for using alochol is that it carries the flavor into the tobacco, and then "flashes off" (evaporates), leaving the flavor behind without adding moisture. I'd avoid oils, as they leave the tobacco a bit too moist, and they can make the leaf burn funny.
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.