PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have a number of project pipes that need new stems. I paid around 5 bucks for most of the ones without bowls. I also have number of replacement vulcanite stems. In most cases I will have to file/sand down the stems to fit the shank. I don't have a tenon turner either, but I have found that with enought patience I have gotten some of them to fit flush while others don't. Is there instructions or advice somewhere that talks about getting stems to fit flush?
For instance is you have a gap on the left side, you may need to file the right side down a bit to get the stem flush or what not, kind of like explaining about putting english on a pool ball, tweaking that does this.
I know I could send the work out to be done professionally , but a 25 dollar stem on a 5 dollar pipe doesn't make sense to me and I also like to work with my hand and don't get a chance to do much of it, this further reason why I would like to do it my self.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
A lot of stem blanks are made in such a way that you actually fit a tenon into the stem using epoxy. Most guys use Delrin which you can do a little research on. That way you don't have to physically turn the tenon or shape the stem by hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.