PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
When searching on eBay I have to wonder how many of us have made a quick decision when bidding. I was searching 'ending soon' and this pipe had 5 seconds to go when I put in my bid at the two second mark and now I have this wonderful unsmoked Stanwell Bamboo. I think I came out OK with a purchase around 1/2 the retail price. My new Stanwell should be arriving tomorrow!
well2.jpg

well3.jpg

well5.jpg

well4.jpg

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Durham, I generally favour old Stanwells, but that looks like a great pipe!!!
On eBay I am always a last-ten-second bidder, Sometimes if I badly want a pipe I might put in a ridiculously high bid, close my eyes and hope that either the nearest bid is much lower or that I am outbid (that has happened on a couple of Barlings)!! lol

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I used to work at a B+M in college and they had that shape and style in their cabinets. I'd drool over it every day and couldn't afford it. I came back years later hoping it would still be around but it had sold. Hope it treats you well.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Great looking Stanwell!
There's a pipe on ebay right now that I have my eye on. The indecision is killing me. Hoping someone takes the buy it now before I give in.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think you may have beat the ebay game with that one. I'm always wary that I will either get a pipe

that has a defect, or pay too much in the heat of the chase, or get a great deal on a worthy pipe that

I don't really want, because it's such a great deal. This looks like an excellent design by a reliable

maker, so I think you did well.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Durham
Congrats on that last second purchase. Very attractive pipe and I hope it smokes well for you.
@cosmic--so often I bid on pipes and hope or despair that someone will out bid me. :)
Lately, every single one I've been out bid on. The prices are climbing, or my tastes are changing for higher end pipes-at least more than I'm willing to go for on a sight unseen pipe.

Jan 8, 2013
Congrats, that is beautiful pipe. I love the 19 shape, my first (good) briar was a Silke Brun 19, and it still gets smoked daily. Here's to many years of enjoyment!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
On last second deals like this, I'm always thinking that I missed something in the description. Like "Instruction manual for..."
Anyway, great deal on a great pipe. Piping satisfaction all around. I just hope that it isn't the one that ocpsdan drooled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.