Not open for further replies.

ricospipe

Lurker
Apr 11, 2013
Nashua, N.H.
I’ve been trying to find the parts for a DIY retort

to clean my pipes.

The part I’m having problems finding in the right size

is the surgical tubing (or latex tubing).

Lowes and Home Depot only have 3/8” and everyone else just looks at me funny.

I’m thinking I’ll be needing about 1” to 1 1/2” tubing.
Does anyone have any source suggestions?
Rico

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sounds like you're making a condom, not a retort. :lol:

The latex tubing is supposed to connect the retort to the stem, not the bowl.

Where do you see the need for 1 or 1½" tubing?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Way too big on the tubing , Tubing stretches to fit over button on stem moistened with good old spit. Don't get too big a test tube, not necessary you can use candle power if it isn't too big. Use eye protection and oven mitt on hand holding tube. Son gave me an Ove glove advertised on TV and it is perfect, have a coffee cup with paper towels inside to pour the dregs in tube. Sometimes heat will make stem stick and you will have to put in freezer for a couple mins, don't force it or tendon will break. You are on the right track as the only way to really clean an estate is a retort. Be Safe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Bradley is spot on here. In addition to his suggestions of eye wear and oven mitt, I'd also suggest a heavy leather shop apron. If your retort goes sideways, alcohol * pressure / open flame = flying glass and burning.
As to sourcing your tubing, Amazon seems to have different gauges in good supply.
-- Pat/Brian

ricospipe

Lurker
Apr 11, 2013
Nashua, N.H.
This is why I love this site – always great information!
@Cortez:
I know the tubing supposed to connect to the stem.

Most of my pipe stems are wider than the 3/8-tubing (fishtails?)

and the P-lip stem seems to be the only stem that fits in the tubing – but not without a fight.
@ tbradsim1:
I’ll try again with the spit. I was thinking that because the bit was wider than the tubing that I would just tear the tubing. I got the test tube from Hobby Lobby for a kid’s science kit. It’s glass, ½” wide and 4” long. I’m using a DIY alcohol lamp for the flame. I also have an Ove Glove, and it worked great! Since I’m blind in one eye, I’m very protective of my one good eye. So wearing eye protection is automatic. Thanks for all the tips.
@ pruss:
So I’ll hold it up and down instead of sideways and should be okay, right? :) LOL

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
You're actually going to want a tubing which is significantly more narrow in diameter than your pipes' bits are wide. The latex tubing stretches well, and will give you a good seal around the bit.
samcoffeeman sent me a sterno pot with a wick to use for my retorts and it is fantastic. One benefit of using a chafing fuel like sterno is that it doesn't leave carbon all over the test tube. Speaking of test tubes, is the one you bought from hobby lobby made from borosilicate glass? If not, you might want to go get a different test tube, as the last thing you want is a test tube which won't expand when held over the flame.
Good luck with your build. Looking forward to seeing pics of your finished product.
-- Pat/Brian

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Maybe check a medical/chemistry supply store (If those even exist)? If you lived in Minnesota, I would suggest you check out Axman, it's the weirdest "junk" store that has all sorts of medical/dental supply stuff, as well as electronic bits, random knick knacks, etc.

ricospipe

Lurker
Apr 11, 2013
Nashua, N.H.
@ pruss:
I had to cut along the side of the tubing to get it on a stem, but I finally did get it on.

That problem is solved.
The directions I found use a test tube w/ rubber stopper, eye dropper and latex tubing.

you make a hole in the stopper and put the dropper tip in it. While I was doing the second pipe, the dropper started falling out. I wanna eliminate the dropper, but I can't seem to get the 3/8" tubing over the 1/2" test tube. Just when I think I got it on, the tubing tears more.
I really don't know if the test tube is borosilicate glass. I had a hard enough time finding this one, so I'm not gonna be too picky. Maybe later I'll see what I can find online.
Rico

Status
Not open for further replies.