PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamthepiper

Lurker
Feb 12, 2013
Have any of you ever made your own corn cob pipe? What did you use for the shank and stem? And is it worth making one or better to buy one?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
For the savings in time, money and effort, a Missouri Meerschaum is the clear choice. But I guess that's as

obvious to you and everyone else as it seems to me. It is an interesting question, however, from a hobbyist

point of view, and I'm guessing that the latent DIY'er in all of us finds a certain appeal in the idea. There must

be somebody online who has tried this while channeling his inner rustic, and I'd enjoy hearing about it too!
Google: Doug Erwin cob. Also, there's a guy named Jake Hackert who, I think, has made custom cobs.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
From a cost effective point of view...buy the MM cob, don't make it.
Unless you enjoy the journey... Then keep us posted. MM has very specific hybrids of corn that it makes pipes from. I imagine anything you grow or buy will be very small for a pipe.
Good luck!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
You prob cannot make one for the few pennies it cost to buy one, but.......... If you have the talent(I don't), there is much to be said for making ones' own Cob, and smoking it. Good luck mate. :worship:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I haven't tried it but come this summer when I've got a bunch of corn anyway I'm gonna try this.
This. I'm obsessed with DIY projects, so I want to try it, but I'd say it's better to just buy one if you want one.

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
In my case it has nothing to do with savings and everything to do with the project and seeing if I can, I just realized I've got some old indian corn already dried I may have to play with this tomorrow since I've got the day off.

adamthepiper

Lurker
Feb 12, 2013
I have a cob that is a reasonable size for a pipe. My main concern is making a shank and stem for it. I would appreciate it more if I made it myself and I can also make the stem and shank longer to resemble a small churchyard if I wanted.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I have made one :) couldn't find a cob to suit but then noticed the dried ones from the pet store I buy for my cavvie was perfect! So I reamed it out and drilled the shank hole and made a stem with a craft stick. I made it long enough that if I drilled from both ends the hole met in the middle, cut the bowl end like an MM one so it protects the bowl bottom and shaped a mouthpeice. Bowl is a little small but otherwise its great :)

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Just having a SSS (one is shower, one is shave, feel free to guess the third :p) then I will have a bash at pics for ya.

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
ive made a few in my time. you need to take some fresh cobs and leave them outside for a long time. try to place them where animals cant get to them. once they are GOOD and DRY. Sometimes I like to cover them in some plaster and sand them down. This is what MM does. Cut it to size and drill out the bowl. I just use sticks for the whole stem system. Just drill it out from both sides and hope they connect. Ive always had great draws and i feel so badass when I smoke one I just made. Just have fun with it!

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
I will let you experiment with the plaster. It was a point of utter frustration and sweet success at times. You dont have to use plaster. Smoke just fine without it. The hard coating makes it last longer. For sticks I have used bamboo, vines, and random twigs. Just find something that is straight and not too long that you wont be able to drill through it. Unless you have really long bits then go crazy! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.