Tags:  No tags yet. 

Making a Corn Cob

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by adamthepiper
  • Latest reply from thesmokindragon
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

adamthepiper

Login to Send PM

Have any of you ever made your own corn cob pipe? What did you use for the shank and stem? And is it worth making one or better to buy one?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

For the savings in time, money and effort, a Missouri Meerschaum is the clear choice. But I guess that's as
    obvious to you and everyone else as it seems to me. It is an interesting question, however, from a hobbyist
    point of view, and I'm guessing that the latent DIY'er in all of us finds a certain appeal in the idea. There must
    be somebody online who has tried this while channeling his inner rustic, and I'd enjoy hearing about it too!

Google: Doug Erwin cob. Also, there's a guy named Jake Hackert who, I think, has made custom cobs.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From a cost effective point of view...buy the MM cob, don't make it.

Unless you enjoy the journey... Then keep us posted. MM has very specific hybrids of corn that it makes pipes from. I imagine anything you grow or buy will be very small for a pipe.

Good luck!

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried it but come this summer when I've got a bunch of corn anyway I'm gonna try this.

The true measure of a mans worth is how he chooses to chance his mortality
    Junior Member of the Black Bloods
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You prob cannot make one for the few pennies it cost to buy one, but.......... If you have the talent(I don't), there is much to be said for making ones' own Cob, and smoking it. Good luck mate.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. olewaylon

olewaylon

Login to Send PM

they are so cheap as it is. would be kind of cool though

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't tried it but come this summer when I've got a bunch of corn anyway I'm gonna try this.

This. I'm obsessed with DIY projects, so I want to try it, but I'd say it's better to just buy one if you want one.

Matt.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  8. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neat link (and site) Josh.

Greg
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is a cool site it's the other one I scroll through at work when y'all aren't posting enough pictures to keep me entertained

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cobs are $1.99 at the local smoke shop/liquor store, hard to imagine making my own would be worth that kind of savings, and that's if you could even buy the seed corn you'd need to grow the corn that's used. As mentioned above, that corn is hybridized from a couple of different strains and isn't your average field corn cob, it's somewhat larger than normal corn. They did make cob pipes from regular field corn for many years, but if you notice any photos from the last 140 or so years of people with storebought cob pipes in their mouths, the older the photo, the smaller those cobs tend to be, or so I've noticed.

After getting your hands on a cob, you'd need either a pine dowel center drilled, or a piece of bamboo, and then a mouthpiece (unless you want to be sucking on bare wood or bamboo)...

Really WAY too much trouble to save a couple of bucks

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my case it has nothing to do with savings and everything to do with the project and seeing if I can, I just realized I've got some old indian corn already dried I may have to play with this tomorrow since I've got the day off.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good idea, Indian corn would be your best bet, as it has a good sized cob at the base. We're going to need photos, I hope you understand

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

adamthepiper

Login to Send PM

I have a cob that is a reasonable size for a pipe. My main concern is making a shank and stem for it. I would appreciate it more if I made it myself and I can also make the stem and shank longer to resemble a small churchyard if I wanted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. snewton

snewton

Login to Send PM

I have made one couldn't find a cob to suit but then noticed the dried ones from the pet store I buy for my cavvie was perfect! So I reamed it out and drilled the shank hole and made a stem with a craft stick. I made it long enough that if I drilled from both ends the hole met in the middle, cut the bowl end like an MM one so it protects the bowl bottom and shaped a mouthpeice. Bowl is a little small but otherwise its great

Stuart Newton
    Clay Pigeon Shooter
    Working in Transport
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. joshwolftree

joshwolftree

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We're going to need photos, I hope you understand
    oh if it works there'll be photos aplenty

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

adamthepiper

Login to Send PM

snewton, could you post some pics of your pipe to give me a idea of where to go?

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. snewton

snewton

Login to Send PM

Just having a SSS (one is shower, one is shave, feel free to guess the third :p) then I will have a bash at pics for ya.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. lordwolf

lordwolf

Login to Send PM

ive made a few in my time. you need to take some fresh cobs and leave them outside for a long time. try to place them where animals cant get to them. once they are GOOD and DRY. Sometimes I like to cover them in some plaster and sand them down. This is what MM does. Cut it to size and drill out the bowl. I just use sticks for the whole stem system. Just drill it out from both sides and hope they connect. Ive always had great draws and i feel so badass when I smoke one I just made. Just have fun with it!

Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world. ~Irish Proverb
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

adamthepiper

Login to Send PM

what kind of plaster do you use? also, what kind of branch should I look for to use as the stem?

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. lordwolf

lordwolf

Login to Send PM

I will let you experiment with the plaster. It was a point of utter frustration and sweet success at times. You dont have to use plaster. Smoke just fine without it. The hard coating makes it last longer. For sticks I have used bamboo, vines, and random twigs. Just find something that is straight and not too long that you wont be able to drill through it. Unless you have really long bits then go crazy!

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. snewton

snewton

Login to Send PM

Ok lets try some pics:

picture hosting

online photo sharing

upload

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. onepyrotec

onepyrotec

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have smoked MM for years, and this thread has me inspired to get creative with some spare time

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. dragonslayer

dragonslayer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They are so cheap, and if you have the tools to make a pipe you should get a kit and carve yourself a nice briar pipe for $15.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” Patrick Henry
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. thesmokindragon

thesmokindragon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have made a few, used MM bowls...thank you again to all the wonderful pipers out there still smoke'in them

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   goinslow, pipesinperu, eightywon, pflan, cwspook, mrenglish, wayneteipen, rickcrum, phil67, numbersix, cosmicfolklore, sparks, tuckahoe, smokeybear, johnscs, gregprince, daimyo, pipermississippi, koolandthegang, drennan, davidintexas, woopigsooie