PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Wouldn't that involved attaching magnets to your pipe? While I'd do it in a heartbeat to my cobs, I'm not so sure about the briars.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Nifty, I think I could get behind that, you'd still have to be careful not to scratch up the bottom of your pipes though.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a couple they are great. You do have to be careful though, because when the ball bearing is in the bowl the pipe will JUMP onto the stand once it gets close.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
smokeybear, please take some photos of the process! I'd love to see the project come together.
jonahtke, if you want a magnetic cob, Scott over at aristocob.com will sell you a "Magnacob," which is a MM Diplomat with a magnet already attached to it. He has a video where he put it on the outside of a van going 65mpg and it stayed attached.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I tried it, don't waste you money on small sizes, they just won't hold. Only the largest ball bearings and disc magnets will work and they are costly in that size. Adding a layer of felt etc, will only weaken the hold and require an even stronger magnet. There is a link here somewhere to the magnetic pipe stand, comments add in the sizes you need, etc. I just gave up and didn't want to invest any more in the magnets.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Anyone know what strength to get for a pipe stand. The weakest 1 inch says 29 pounds. That seems like a lot but just don’t know what guys use.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've made my own stand for photographing pipes. I use a disc shaped flat magnet, epoxied to a wood base, for the base, which I cover with a cloth or photo seamless, and a spherical magnet to go in the chamber. Peck is correct, you need to handle your pipe carefully or it will "jump" when the two magnets are in close proximity. Works great!
I bought mine from K&J Magnetics. The sphere is a 1/2" with a pull strength of 6.53 lbs - N42 S8. The disc is 1" x 1/4" N42 DX04 (IIRC) with a pull strength of 27.2 lbs.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I really wanted to get one of those stands, but all of my pipes are either bulldogs or dublins with the sharp edged bottoms. So, they’d look like a drunken chorus line all tipped over and wobbled in a line.
You can address that by creating a chamfered opening in the wood base then countersinking a wider opening from the underside for the magnet so that the magnet sits at the base of the chamfered opening.

Thanks Jesse. I was thinking more about buying one. I don't like to attempt finer woodworking in my studio, as the dust just plays havoc in my metalworking things. Even if I have to sand an estate pipe, I do it over the kitchen sink while my Mrs. Cosmic screams at me, ha ha. But, I guess that I could carve a V groove in one that I have bought. I could do it in my wife's bathroom. :puffy:

Jun 27, 2016
1/2" N42s might be a little light. I have 1/2" N48s, and might upgrade to N50s or N52s. That being said, I get mostly decent results with the N48 1/2" spheres in the bowls. I bought a knife stand for the base with neo plate magnets end-to-end across it, not sure of their strength rating. But if I were making/modifying my own base, I would go with neodymum, but I would see if I could get cylinder-shaped ones that would fit within the base, and probably as strong as or stronger than my bowl magnets. I would probably just drill from the top and get them to sit right below the surface, epoxy them in there, and then put a felt pad over the hole. Trick would be putting the base magnets where they will work well with the pipes, and they might not all work best in the same spot. You could pre-test the base magnet against the pipe with the bowl magnet in place, but you want to put some protective layer between the base magnet and the outer bowl, and like sablebrush was saying, you have to watch what you are doing when you are working with them, or things will start smacking together.

Here's my old thread, but the stand that I bought is NLA, so I am SOL and have to DIM if I want another one.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-magnetic-knife-rackermpipe-stand
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.