PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
Have you guys seen this article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/05/12/lung-cancer-vaccine-cimavax-cuba/27168559/
This may change the game in terms of how we think about our hobby's relationship to lung cancer.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Nobody count their chickens yet. None of those articles mentioned any of the actual research data attached to that. Study methods, cohort demographics and size, total N, confidence intervals.....those things all matter greatly before you can call something a success. In other words, just because something works in a small number of Cubans doesn't mean it will work for a wider population. I sure hope it does though.
Then, there's a little thing called the FDA and CDC and that could hold things up a long time.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Ah, but the question arises will society change it's opinion with regards to tobacco? I doubt it. The social stigma of smoking has progressed way beyond health concerns. Unless the general public decides to live with the smell of smokers, if we wish to smoke in public, most of us will still be relegated to the alley behind the pub, in the rain under a low wattage bulb, telling the person next to us how much we enjoy our pipes, cigars or cigarettes.

Mar 1, 2014
Great for people already down that road but I'm having trouble with just my nose getting irritated.
I like the smell of the odd plume of Latakia smoke wafting in my direction but that's as far as it goes.
We should get the smoking bars back though.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I read from other sources that according to Cuban studies the drug offers four to six extra months of survival. While that's nothing to scoff at and it should be studied further, it's not a cure and it doesn't prevent cancer. I'm skeptical. We'll see when the studies are publicized.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
No supporting evidence. No articles published in journals. Article only mentions it stops existing tumors from growing.
Am I missing something?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
No supporting evidence. No articles published in journals. Article only mentions it stops existing tumors from growing.
Am I missing something?
It's a USA Today article. A bit more info can be found here:
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancers-in-general/cancer-questions/can-you-tell-me-about-the-cimavax-lung-cancer-vaccine
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20387330

cobs4me

Lurker
May 21, 2015
Well I would be interested in being a test subject. They don't even tell you how to sign up for that. If it is a vaccine then I'm in. Oops I just read the other articles, I guess you already have to have lung cancer to be tested.

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I've often wondered about the room note of cigarettes. I mean, as pipe smokers, we're pretty much smoking tobacco in a relatively pure form, I can only guess that the cigarette room note stems from the chemical additives.
Simply put, pipe smoke smells better than cigarette smoke..
A question to those of you in the upper age demographic, have cigarettes always smelt like that?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Don't know about that....hmmm Cuban secret? doubt it. Greatest research in the world being done in the U.S. Sounds like hype

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My cigarettes have no additives. I can't smell the room note but, people say that the aroma not at all like those cigarettes with the chemically impregnated papers. So I guess the answer to your question is, all cigarettes, like pipe tobaccos, are not the same and so, do not produce the same aromas.

cobs4me

Lurker
May 21, 2015
Jessica, don't know if they always smelled like that. I never noticed how bad they smelled until I quit smoking them. Now they smell really bad to me and I understand why sister would not come to my house for holidays.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, I'm gonna quit smoking to live a few extra years in this really super awesome world. I love the world. It's such a great place to live........
All the health nutters are gonna die someday too.... the only difference is they'll have really good lungs to embalm.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
A question to those of you in the upper age demographic, have cigarettes always smelt like that?
I'm not sure I qualify for the "upper" age demographic yet, but NO: cigarettes have not always smelled like "that". Nor do they have to.
It's important to note that modern, mass-produced cigarettes do not really contain tobacco leaf. Rather, they are made of sheet tobacco. Google it.
It's a fairly easy endeavor, however, to purchase real tobacco and roll a cigarette that would be closer to what one may have enjoyed ~50+ years ago. People are simply lazy. And it's easy to blame tobacco for the ailments that follow from intentionally inhaling the fumes of the chemical mess of binders, adhesives, preservatives, and propellants that make up the modern, mass-produced "cigarette".

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Well said Perique. And the vast majority of the passengers on the anti-tobacco hysteria train are consuming mass quantities of chemicals in their processed foods that are every bit as bad, if not worse, than those contained in the modern cigarette. You'd think the cancer epidemic amongst non-smokers would cause at least some of them to do a little pondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.