PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last night I had just finished a bowl and started my routine of cleaning the pipe. I removed the stem then ran a bristled cleaner into the shank. I then got a tapered fluffy cleaner and inserted the thin end into the tenon end of the stem. So far so good.
As it emerged from the bit end I grabbed it and started to tug it out, going from side to side to clean the slot. It then became stuck, just before the end of the cleaner and no amount of tugging would pull it out. No problem I thought, use the Leatherman to give extra purchase (I've had to do this in the past on occasion). I gripped it and pulled, it started to come through then became stuck fast. You can guess what happened next...the cleaner snapped leaving the last portion in the stem.
There was about 5mm of cleaner poking out so I used the Leatherman again and it then snapped once more...this time leaving nothing sticking out. I have tried pushing it back with various pointy tools but it is absolutely stuck fast, it will not budge.
It is a saddle stem with a slight bend. The only thing I can come up with is putting it in a glass filled with a heavy brine solution in the hope it will rust away but that would take months if it worked at all. Any suggestions as to how I might sort this folks?
This is such a pain as it's only the third smoke I've had from this pipe :crying:
Regards,
Jay.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Jay,
I'm wondering about heat (at low temperature) to try and get the rubber/plastic to relax its hold on the cleaner allowing you to pull it out. Have you considered putting the stem into a cup of hot water (below boiling) for a few minutes and then trying to pull/pry out the bit of cleaner?
-- Pat

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Stan, the slot is too small for a needle file and a dental pick just moves the wire (I managed to remove some of the fluff) from side to side.
Pat, I did think about heating it but there is simply nothing to grip on to. Maybe I will try your hot water trick with the dental pick but to be honest I'm not confident it will work :?
Regards,
Jay.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Jay, you could try slightly widening the slot with needle files to allow you to get purchase. I recognize the inherent distaste for this kind of cosmetic surgery, but it may be the only way to get purchase.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Jay, you need to push, not pull. Fashion a stiff wire and work it forward, button to bowl. What shape is the stem? Got a photo? If it's straight, you can drill it out.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Woof.

I know it doesn't help now and you've surely thought it..

But I have stems that love fluffies, and others that have to have regulars.
Just..you know..going forward.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Reason #472 to blast all my airways out to 5/32". Hot water or a heat gun to relax the vulcanite are the only things I can think of.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Personally, I think pruss' idea of using heat is the best, and safest way to go.
As a last resort, you may consider putting muriatic acid into the stem.

It should erode enough of the metal to loosen the wire's grip, or perhaps

soften the cleaner's fibers to free it up a bit (excuse the pun).
This should be safe for acrylic stems, but I don't know about vulcanite.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Jay
What a disaster! I can only imagine what I would feel if I did that with one of my favourite pipes. Good luck with the various solutions suggested. I really hope one of them works.
Mike

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would lube another pipe cleaner with olive oil and try pushing it out.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I would lube another pipe cleaner with olive oil and try pushing it out.
I swear I only hit the button once. Sorry for the double post. Jeesh.

Mar 1, 2014
Worst case, send it to a pipe repairman and have the stem re-drilled.
I've never broken a stem drilling to 1/8" and 5/32" is how all your Castello stems are set up, as well as many high end Artisan pipes.

At 1/8" you'll have more of a "normal" feeling draw so that would be less risky if you're unsure about the idea of changing the draw. This could be as much of a golden opportunity as a disaster.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Glad to learn your house didn't burn down! Straightening the bit might help, certainly if drilling becomes a good option. I think you need just the right wire diameter and stiffness to make that work. Pushing another cleaner in may compound the problem.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Jay, I have had this happen a few times over the years. It is one reason I now do not use fluffy pipe cleaners and ( I hate to give an endorsement to Brian ) but now I use Brigham pipe cleaners. Both regular and bristle. I find the wire center is stiffer and stronger than the pipe cleaners from BJ Long and others.
I have tried a multiple of techniques, and some worked ok and some were a disaster.
Soaking the pipe cleaner in water, only made the cotton swell up.
Tried freezing the stem and hoped the metal chore would shrink enough, but that is hit and miss. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.
I have tried putting a few drops of a flammable liquid through the air passage. With needle nose pliers grab hold of any possible end of the cleaner sticking out. Light and hope the flame removes the cotton to only leave the wire, which should come out. It did work, but really F'd up the air passage. DO NOT USE THIS TECHNIQUE!! Don't even consider it as a possible solution.
I have added a few drops of either olive oil or grade seed oil, allowed to soak in. Sometimes it helped, others time it did not.
The only 100% sure fire method is to send the stem to a pro and have them do whatever magic they do to get the job done. I have some thoughts on what they might do, but an not brave enough to try them on clients pipes.
Good luck.
Michael J. Glukler

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
if nothing of aformentioned and suggested methods would not work out I'd send the stem to repair shop or got replacement it wouldn't cost fortune,then you'll save your nerves,and another good point, in the UK you have plenty of workshops available to choose from, I don't have this possibility and if something goes wrong with my pipes only option left is to send the item abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.