Main Focus Now Is My Cellar Heres Where I Am Starting At.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
And why you no likey the latakia???
I tried it the very first time i started pipe smoking and it just threw me off, i was taken back by the smokiness and strength of that particular blend. I don't recall the blend however. so i drifted off into the colorful world of Aromatics were i smoke all sorts of chocolate, berry, Vanilla and whiskey-ish blends until i came across a Virginia. It was roll cake aged 4 years. I was astonished by the sweetness i could get from this tobacco and the fact that it was also satisfying my craving unlike any aro would. I then tried the same blend fresh and i almost choke lol. I quickly realized the benefit to aging Virginia based blends.
Anyway that was a long paragraph which didn't real answer your question. I will revisit Latakia again just not now.
As far as cellar goal, its hard to say. i would like at least 10 tins of every blend i like to age this way i can crack one tin a year and it will be aged the way i like it. Does that make sense?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Makes plenty of sense amigo, and it's sounds like a good plan.
I'm somewhat in the opposite situation as you are. I like latakia blends and cant seem to get enough of them. I also like to smoke stuff that packs a punch, therefore I'm a big fan of burley and the dark fired variety too.
I only really dabble in straight VA blends, I find I prefer Va/Burs and Va/Pers over the Straight VA's. To me VAs really only come across as JUST sweet. Don't get me wrong, there's a place for them in my cellar, but I think they help me with my cadence than anything. Lots of VA Flakes are finicky, and at times, I forget to prep them ahead of time for when I'm ready to smoke, so they get passed over. My favorite VA is Red Cake, it's got a good flavor, and I find it's more than just sweet. I haven't really smoked any aged VA, but I'm looking forward to trying some.
As for MY cellar, it's pretty wide with variety right now. I'm still in the process of trying many new blends, and I have lots of unopened tins I need to get to. I've made a list of things I already enjoy(and some that wont make the roster.) I'm trying to place two orders a month with 1/2 of that comprised with stocking the cellar with known varieties of blends I want to have around long term.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
It's great how tastes differ and no two cellars are alike. I probably have close to the equivalent weight of my cellar in jarred bulks and samples. My first goal would be to smoke through all of that to see what I wanna buy to cellar and what i will give away to other member to try.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
looks like a good start to me. Its amazing how fast it all adds up over the years.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I think I find myself in the middle of you chaps.
I really enjoy Oriental tobaccos, and their impact on blends. I enjoy straight Virginias, and really get my flavour rocks off on VaPerBurs as well as Latakia forward blends. I fall off on aromatics... I've had one in the last year that I thought was amazing, but it was a yet unfinished and unnamed product that Per Jensen filled my bowl with in Chicago. That aro I would smoke again, most others... No thanks.
I plan to cellar Va VaPer and VaPerBur tobaccos, and have good volumes of Latakia and Lat/Oriental blends to smoke over a three year window, as everything I've read suggests that Latakia doesn't develop with age like Virginias.
Thanks for posting the link Smokey, I finally bit the bullet and set up my cellar too.
-- Pat

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice start!

I started seriously cellaring at the end of 2012 with about a pound.

I hit it pretty hard (for me anyway) for about a year, and ended up with about 50lbs, counting my rotation.

Mine is split roughly 60/40 tins/bulk.

I've slacked off quite a bit for now though.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ya well at 50lbs You do deserve a break haha. That's impressive. I want to include my bulks but it's a pain to weight it now plus I don't know what I'm keeping from them. Also some of these tins I added I've yet to sample so I'll be cracking them open eventually and if I like I will buy more. So realistically I'll be shrinking this cellar before growing it any further.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
So realistically I'll be shut ink this cellar before growing it any further.
I thought about that too, Smokebear, but given that we're in Canada I've opted to do a small order (200g ish) every two weeks of tins I know I want to cellar. Two weeks ago it was Escudo, this week it is Haddo's + that tin of Jacknife for the tobacco crawl. This way I can build my cellar while I smoke through the open jars and samples I have. It allows me to refine the cellar and grow it at the same time.
-- Pat

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Pat I have so many open stuff your more then welcome to try and sample whatever you want it would save us the trouble on buying just to try right?. Also since we are going in as Baccy buddies in the crawl I can easily set up sample packages for you everytime we exchange Baccy.
Edit: dam iPhone small keyboard fat fingers (rant)

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Yup. The big trick will be getting through his harem without taking damage from his eunuch slave soldiers... If we survive that, then the last hurdle will be the drooly golden retrievers of doom.
But I'm game.
-- Pat

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Wow since i posted this 3 weeks ago i have gone up to a little over 7 lbs of cellared tobacco still not counting my open tins or jars i smoke from regularly. This cellar journey wont be a long one if i keep this up. Also i changed number of tins i want of each from 10 to 5. 10 tins of each just seemed a bit excessive.

Dec 24, 2012
Hmm . . . while the Cat's away the mice play.
I see the Eunuch soldiers and the vicious horde of Golden Retrivers did their job.

Status
Not open for further replies.