PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I told a friend I'd help him sell a high-end pipe, but creative shapes are not my thing at all. (Meaning I appreciate them, but know little about the Scandinavian/Eastern European/Russian "pipe world.")
Conveniently, I already posted photos of the pipe several months ago, so only need to link to it for reference: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/uber-cool-maigurs-knets-pipe
The simplest answer is to just place it with one of the Net's re-sellers who specialize in high grades, of course, but the auction scenario means it could sell for so little that he'd rather have kept it.
For all my pipe involvement over the past 40 years, I've sold only a handful of them, and then only Britwood. This Knets pipe isn't in my wheelhouse at all, experience-wise.
So, if anyone can point me toward a good place to begin to determine this pipe's "value range", or know of a collector who might be interested in it, please either post or PM me with the info (whatever you think is proper).

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Knets' pipes remind me of Rolando Negoita's for design and shaping. They cost more but to my mind don't sell for what they are worth. smokingpipes and "Two Friends" usually are selling one or both makers' work. The pipe in question is very artfully shaped, but the attribute that will command a good price is the fabulous 360 degree straight-grain which ups the price at least $500.00, I think. Have you watched how smooth straight-grain pushes the price up on smokingpipes? Suddenly the price jump $500.00-$1000.00.
If Todd Johnson had made it I'd say $2000.00; both of the carvers above have great reputations, but they're not in the top tier, so I'd say $1500.00.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Just the block of briar would cost $100 from 2 cutters I know that could supply it. The pipe should be in the $1200-1500 range...

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Scandpipes.com has a new smooth Maguirs pipe for sale, his signature style, the turtle, for $725, not as nice straight grain. I bought a pipe from Maguirs at the Chicago show, really nice and personable guy.
$1500 would be pushing the envelope IMO, but never hurts to try.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
A lot of these estimates seem high to me. I'd value it at $350, and say that it did well if it hit $450 in auction. His production has been sporadic, and his appeal somewhat limited. Two Friends carries Maigurs Knets pipes, and they seem to sit there longer than a lot of his other makers. If someone offers you $500, take it.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

It's an $800 pipe (retail), but it could sit for years. This pipe is a good example...

Maksim Nazarenko

I held this pipe in my hands while visiting Smoker's Haven 5 years ago and at the time Premal was asking $800. It showed up on smokingpipes.com's website a few years ago listed at that same $800 price tag, it's since been lowered to $660 with it's true perceived retail price of over $1000 listed behind the actual price.
That Knets pipe at one point was probably worth somewhere between $800 to $1000, but I imagine it would fetch $400 to $500 on the auction block, maybe a little more on a good day. You'd probably get the low end of that estimate as an offer from an online retailer/dealer. I would tell your friend that if he decides to sell it that he needs to be prepared to accept whatever it brings or not sell it. I think you'll be hard pressed to find an individual collector willing to negotiate a fairer price ($600 range) for the pipe, but he/she may be out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.