Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Maigret, The Series and The Books.

(40 posts)
  1. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last few nights I have been watching on Britbox the newest Maigret series starring Rowan Atkinson. The series consists of four 90 minute episodes. I've never watched or read any Maigret and I really enjoyed the series. I'm hooked on Maigret. Today I'm going to start the 1992 Maigret series starring Michael Gambon (Dumbledore from Harry Potter). Penguin Books has been publishing all of Georges Simenon's Maigret books with new English translations and I just ordered the first Maigret book "Pietr the Latvian". Looking forward to reading it.

Any other Maigret fans here? Any thoughts on the series or books?

Rowan Atkinson as Maigret

Michael Gambon as Maigret

Author Georges Simenon

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  2. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Gambon was a delightful Maigret. I have many of the novels, as well.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  3. trudger

trudger

Login to Send PM

Love the books. You can read them in any order.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  4. elasmo

elasmo

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the heads up - I'll give them a watch later. Love me some Rowan Atkinson since his Blackadder days.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  5. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Love the books. You can read them in any order.

That's good to know. Thanks.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Blackadder is one of my all time favorites. Besides Atkinson, there's Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. Atkinson is clearly the star in all three (?) series.

Bean, just not my cuppa.

The Maigret, though, sounds great.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  7. mikefu

mikefu

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I really enjoy the books, I like the Gambon series, and really enjoy the Atkinson episodes. I’ve only seen a couple of the Rupert Davies series from the 60’s.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  8. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite pipe smoking detective. They are great books, pay attention to descriptions though. Depending on the edition/translation, there are several stories that are released with different names (Maigret Goes Home is Maigret and the St. Fiacre Affair, and the like). My favorite ones are the ones set in Paris, they seem to have the scene set better than the ones where Maigret is assigned to the Flying Squad helping out in areas outside Paris, and a few where he is in the US or Holland.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  9. dino

dino

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve been reading the novels and stories for decades. Big fan.
    I really enjoy the new Maigret with Rowan Atkinson. Though Michael Gambon and Rupert Davies are physically closer to how Maigret is described, (Simenon liked Davies best), and both are excellent in the role, I think Atkinson is superb. The productions are also quite remarkable, capturing the atmosphere and the mood.
    By the way, Rupert Davies recorded a really fun song in 1963, about pipe smoking, “Smoking My Pipe” .

https://www.youtube.com/embed/MVe8STc5FBU

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  10. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That was a fun song. Thanks for posting Dino.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Only ever seen the series with Atkinson playing the part , will have have to watch the ones with Gambon In, also buy the books.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  12. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m surprised that the Bruno Cremer led series hasn’t been mentioned. My personal favorite, and it seems to me the closest to the spirit of the books.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  13. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Bruno Cremer led Maigret with English subtitles is available for streaming on MHz Choice. I may start that series in the future...if I don't get Maigret burnout.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  14. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've watched the Gambon series on Amazon Prime and just watched the first episode of the Atkinson series. The first episode in both is the same so it's a good way to compare the actors. I like Gambon more.

I'm always on the look-out for any of the books in the local used bookstores and in Barnes & Nobles and Books-a-Million. Haven't found any yet.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

":scloyd : The Bruno Cremer led Maigret with English subtitles is available for streaming on MHz Choice. I may start that series in the future...if I don't get Maigret burnout. "
    ---------------------

Yes,exactly, it's the closest to the character and the atmosphere of the books best respected !

(with Rowan Atkinson is an effort of scenery, but for French it remains a pale copy and especially the character of Maigret is soft and insignificant, nothing to do with his massive physique and his "presence" in the books.)

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

( The episode "The cellars of the Majestic" I saw it turn in my street, the part that takes place in a house style
    year 40/50.
    It was nice the Swiss TV technicians who were hanging out in front of my door, it lasted at least 15 days, had to be careful when going out, hide the cars.

(a shot on the bike I forgot they put a bigger behind, and I stopped once behind my gate when an actor was cycling, he laughs but filmed from behind it is not seen.)

They started a Citroën Traction on 50 meters and Crémer came out with dignity.

In short, there was no laptops at the time and Crémer had established his base camp at my neighbor for the practical side, I saw him 1 or 2 times come back and go out in the garden with his famous pipe in hand.

He was not obliged, although a prior cigar smoker he still had to smoke his pipe on the occasion ...

For the anecdote he smoked a Dunhill in the movies but
    the white bridge was masked.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  17. crawdad

crawdad

Login to Send PM

I’ve read all of the Maigret books and was disappointed that an author with such a prolific pipe collection did not reference a pipe brand or tobacco used by the character. I’ve seen Atkinson’s take on the French detective and while I liked the series, I saw only Mr Bean. I think Atkinson is a victim of being irreparably typecast. That’s just my humble two cents.

“Well, it keeps my hands busy, and my mouth shut."
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  18. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@armonts - cool story. Thanks for posting.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have watched all three Maigret versions several times and like them all. Bruno Cremer is my favorite, but the need to rely on English subtitles probably is a negative for many. The Gambon series is a bit too "talky" for my taste. Atkinson, despite lacking the proper physical stature does a good job, although his portrayal is uber sensitive. It is too bad this series had so few episodes made. We could have used more from Gambon, as well.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  20. jpberg

jpberg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think the Atkinson version was just awful, though it gets points for possibly bringing new readers to a terrific author. @crawdad, everybody smoked pipes , cigars and cigarettes then. There was absolutely no reason to specify a brand. It’d be like pointing out different brands of bottled water in a current film.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  21. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As actors Bruno Cremer,Gambon and of course Jean Gabin played the Commisaire Maigret the very best

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  22. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Maigret smoked caporal gris, sir. While it was never mentioned, the grey paper packet is and that gives it away.

Posted 1 week ago #
  23. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@HugoDrax, Eh, Qui, Tabac Gris in French stand for the domestic strong shag cut tobacco > Caporal Export or Scaferlatis which,as far as I'm aware of still exist out there among other domestic French blends,all those are strong burleyish shag cut tobaccies

Posted 1 week ago #
  24. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Je m’appele Paul aussi, monsieur. Vous êtes corretes. Milles merci pour votre explication de cela que j'ai dit. Maigret, il etait le fils d’un registeur et ses goûts étaient ceux d’un paysan.

Posted 1 week ago #
  25. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@HugoDrax,Monsierur Paul,moi je suis Heureux dr Vous connaitre ,j'ai appris le francaise pendant mes etudes secondaires,mais helas, pendant ces dernier anneés je risque de l'ublier,car presque personne ne le parle ici,également c'est La Russe que je parle plus ou moins,
    Ps, moi Je crois que Ce tabacs gris francais ce ceux a peu pres similaire de Tabac Semois Belge)
    Methinks French dark blends are pretty similar tastewise to those Semois Tobaccies from Belgium, though a bit rougher tasting

Posted 1 week ago #
  26. husky

husky

Login to Send PM

How can I be almost fifty and never have heard about Maigret?
    I guess that makes me the lucky one as I have all of the TV-series and books to look forward to.
    Some Michael Gambon on YT but I haven't found anywhere I can watch the episodes with Rowan Atkinson.
    I suppose it is difficult to watch Atkinson without "seeing" the comic characters?

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Husky- I watched the Rowan Atkinson's Maigret on Britbox, which I subscribe for $6.99 a month. They offer a FREE 7 day trial. The R.A. Maigret series is a total of 6 hours.

All of the Michael Gambon Maigrets are also on Britbox. I haven't watched those...yet.

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

( Paul said :"Methinks French dark blends are pretty similar tastewise to those Semois Tobaccies from Belgium, though a bit rougher tastin" "
    ----------
    Yes, it's a bit like that in general !

And we must not forget that in France at the time of the novels, everyone smoked only "gray tobacco", scaferlati, by taste or obligation, by some American cigarettes sometimes for chic women or men.

The character could hardly smoke anything else in stories so detailed and close to reality. )

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@Armonts, Yes Sir, today times have changed since then ,, especially when it comes to smoking culture

Posted 1 week ago #
  30. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I have mostly the new Penguin English language translations. For the most part, they’re wonderfully done. Maigret is such a rich character and his technique so remarkable. I’m by no means a guy that looks for tobacco references, but for Maigret, everything was so important. There really was nothing, I think, that he didn’t do on purpose.

He was anything but a peasant (peasant, I think, is a state of mind) yet he knew how to play the peasant when it benefited him. He knew how to behave, but would irritate the wealthy by his mere appearance when he had to—he refused English tinned tobacco, yet on at least one occasion bought an expensive English pipe. I firmly believe he smoked caporal to remind himself of his family or maybe out of sheer bloody mindedness. Maigret is a fun, rich character.

I’m so glad I ran into those books in the English language section of Junkado when I was allowed to wander away on my own one day. They didn’t change my life or anything, but they’ve given me many hours of fun.

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

Initially it is the son of a sharecropper, a farmer therefore, on the lands of a chatelain.
    (We learn this in the episode "The St. Fiacre Affair", where he returns to the places of his childhood.)

A little man of the earth...

Posted 1 week ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

( not " A little man of the earth." but "a man proximate the grounds", peasant roots in a French expression…)

Posted 1 week ago #
  33. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Our local PBS station airs Maigret every day at noon, so I have been recording them on the DVR. I have watched two of Bruno Cremer episodes so far. I also picked up three of the newest Penguin Publishing Maigret books and finished book one. I'm really diggin' the Bruno Cremer series.

Here's a little trivia about the Bruno Cremer series. They're filmed in Prague, not Paris. Bruno Cremer got tired of working with Czech and Polish Directors that couldn't speak French, so they brought in Belgian Director Etienne Perier for the "Main on the Bench" episode.

Here is a short interview with Etienne Perier discussing that episode. Interview with Etienne Perier

Posted 5 days ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

The producer places the postwar action in the 50s. (It is well recognized cars).There were 54 episodes.

It is also co-produced with Czech television Ceská Televize, Belgian French RTBF, French-speaking Switzerland TSR, and Finnish Yle TV1. In order to reduce costs, the series is shot abroad: in Czechoslovakia, Finland, Portugal, and South Africa ("Maigret and the Liberty Bar"). B.Cremer spoke about it at the microphone of Radio Prague in April 2004 during one of his many Prague holidays.

Most of the stories take place in Paris, but in Prague there are corners that can sometimes evoke a city of the 50s, which emanates from Prague in some neighborhoods may have the same charm as some parts of Paris. "

But much is happening in Paris, because everyone recognizes, or in France in the countryside.
    I saw a ready-made scene from home that was supposed to be in another city and the image from elsewhere, so that the group together makes believe in an unknown but credible place.

(At the moment the series is going back to France, I have already seen but often I can not help but Watch :roll:,
    I must say that I have some memories of childhood 50 years ...

Posted 5 days ago #
  36. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I watched the "Majestic" episode last night, armonts, so I saw your street! I assume it is the street where Prosper(correct name?) had his house.

Posted 2 days ago #
  37. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

Exactly!
    We also see Prosper doing the street in bycicle (he smiles when he sees me hidden behind my garden gate)

This house of the 30s was empty for sale by the heirs, and the interior had remained of period by the old owners, with its tiling and everything.

The production had just sent a guy and a girl to spend a stroke of paint on the rack just before the shoot, and decorated a bit in it.

Posted 1 day ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

( For the anecdote G.Simenon was a little inspired by himself for his character Maigret, except for women!

While Maigret is wise enough and faithful Simenon despite his discreet accountant physique to the tobacco pipe he slept with countless women including prostitutes and he was quite a party animal and happy drinker!

Do not always rely on appearances ... )

Posted 1 day ago #
  39. newportpipe

newportpipe

Login to Send PM

I was unfamiliar with Maigret novels and series’. Been watching the Michael Gambon series on Britbox this evening. I like it. I also like the actors that were in one of my favourite series Wooster & Jeeves that are in this series as well. Good stuff!

Back to the pipe after 5+ years.
    Posted 9 hours ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

armonts

Login to Send PM

What is especially pleasant in the novels is the atmosphere, the places of action, the characters of the people, it is well described and we immerse ourselves in the story.

It's not always easy to transcribe on screen in a movie where we are more likely to do action for action ...

Posted 3 minutes ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jchaplick, aquadoc, pianopuffer, armonts, bluegrassbrian, bnichols23, lestrout, cosmicfolklore, the85boro, carolinachurchwarden