PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
This popped up in my Facebook feed. A British pipe smoking detective. Looks like it is on Amazon Prime? I don't think I've ever heard Mr. Beans voice befor? At any rate it looks good.
https://youtu.be/CpViacF-a0k

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
It is good. So far there are four Maigret films with Rowan Atkinson.
Over the years there have been many actors drawn to the character. Most fans are especially fond of the Michael Gambon films.
However, Maigret isn't British, no matter how fond he is of his pipe. He's French through and through.
Mike

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Atkinson and the rest use their normal British accents, but it is still set in inter-war Paris. They used Budapest as the filming location as a lot of Budapest has similar architecture to 'old Paris'. From memory, the Gambon films also used Budapest.
Mike

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
In France the Maigret with R.Atkinson is not unanimous because it does not match the physical character of Maigret in G.Simenon's books, nor his manners, and the old actors ... :oops:
But the atmosphere and the decorations are well rendered.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Michael Gambon is a favorite. On several occasions with just an average role I've seem become a tour-de-force.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I was surprised at how good the Rowan Atkinson Maigret is. They do a good job of translating the feel of the novels. The cinematography is well done, and they do well at capturing the sparse storytelling. I do have a hard time looking at Mr. Bean trying to track down murderers, though, and it takes me by surprise if I zone out for a minute and then start paying attention again. I keep expecting him to start playing an invisible drum set or something. But I digress. Along with the accents, it most bothers me that in the novels Maigret is a big mountain of a man who even solves a case in Pietr the Latvian after being shot and only cursorily dressing his wound for several days! I simply cannot see Michael Gambon as a tough as nails Inspector, and certainly can't envision Atkinson as a tough guy, particularly after Bean.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I think they need an actor like Clive Owen or Liam Neeson or even Gerard Butler to play him sometime, and with a French accent, if any of them could muster it.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Yes exactly, Rowan Atkinson does not have the build or the presence of the character, it is too light and nice.

Even if the atmosphere of the history and the decorations are well rendered, it lacks strength and authority compared to the other Maigret we are used to in France ...

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
Bruno Cremer is very, very good. I have never seen the Jean Gabin films. With Rowan Atkinson .... well put aside the books and enjoy it for what it is. You need to do that with the Gambon portrayal as well. His crew talks too much, although the dialogue is good.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
[/quote] With Rowan Atkinson .... well put aside the books and enjoy it for what it is.
I agree. It's still very enjoyable, and worth a watch. Certainly much better than most of the mindless garbage being turned out that relies on special effects and explosions to carry a non-existent storyline and pithy characters. I like it to be sure, but still would like better as Maigret is such a great character.

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
elpefeife : "Bruno Cremer is very, very good. I have never seen the Jean Gabin films."

(Because J.Gabin made only 3 Maigret, in black and white before the 60's)
Maigret is a good character, especially because the atmosphere of the story and the characters of the people are beautifully written in the books of G.Simenon (hard-boiled pipe smoker and big fan of girls ... :wink:)
So good movie scripts, plus here a lot we nostalgia for this time when people were less superficial ...

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Great programme even better that he smokes a pipe, anouther program is Morse inspector Thursday smokes a pipe in that!

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Ha yes, it is also in France, it has a British charm of the 70s. :)

The inspector is often seen tinkering with his pipe.

(He could have made an acceptable Maigret :puffy: ...)

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
The TV series being referred to is 'Endeavour' which is the story of Morse's early career. His boss, the pipe smoking Chief Inspector Fred Thursday, is played by Roger Allam who is a very fine classically trained actor.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.