Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
21eGa.jpg

Sitting in a bowl of Treebeard.
Anyhow I actually have a question. Hoping that someone can answer as I'm sure SD is real busy these days.
The bamboo shows in the smoking chamber, down at the bottom. I can't help but think that the bamboo is susceptible to burning.
Do I need to be especially careful puffing this one?

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
I noticed with SD's comstruction, it is similar to a MM comstruction. I just got my SD "Black Beauty custome cob and the first bowl did burn the shank in the bowl a bit but I let the pipe cool and added a few drops of water to make pipe mud out of the ash from that first bowl. I had to raise the bottom of the bowl anyway. This is common with cobs.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
No problem there Zanthal, I have had mine from smokindragon for over a month now I think, with over 80-90 bowls smoked now. I like Drum which runs hotter than 90% of the other baccys. I have had Zero trouble in regards to burning. You shall have no trouble. Load her and smoker her mate! I did, however, have to put a spot or 2 of crazy glue where the shank meets the bowl as it come loose but that is so very minor.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think the moisture at the bottom of the bowl should help the bamboo stay a little moist so you don't find yourself smoking bamboo.
Just a thought. If nsfisher says it's allright it's allright.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
@ nsfisher : i noticed that you mention that you like Drum Ryo several times.

Well guess what ? Until a few years ago, Drum was manufactured by Tarumatani Tobacco company located at Yogyakarta, Central Java, Indonesia.
Then just all of a sudden, it was nowhere to be found. Later that we know that words on the street that Tarumatani had exhausted its license for Drum trademark and it was now produced in Nottingham. Sad news for us because we could only buy Drum in rather-high-end store which sells imported baccy.
Like yourself, i lovvvee Drum tobacco!
Anyway, that St Patty Cob rock big time! how did it smoke Zanthal ?

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
The better way to get a cob pipe is to buy a machined one from MM factory.Stem meet bowl precisely conical because the work is made with machines that have standard measures.The precise insert needs very little glue.An home made work needs more glue and first or last you'll smoke glue and will have loose stem.But you know that

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
@flyfishn
Exactly right! Zanthal, please note, for the first few bowls you probably will get a charring or burnt taste near the end of your smoke. Not to worry, that is completely normal. It is just to protruding shank burning off and you definitly want that to happen. Its all good, one of the finest smokes you will ever have mate

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
The better way to get a cob pipe is to buy a machined one from MM factory.Stem meet bowl precisely conical because the work is made with machines that have standard measures.The precise insert needs very little glue.An home made work needs more glue and first or last you'll smoke glue and will have loose stem.But you know that
Like hell I know that! thanks for the info, maurizio
flyfishn and nsfisher too

Status
Not open for further replies.