Magnificiently Strange Patents (Picture Heavy)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
So, to start off....I have spent WAY too much time looking at patents. Enjoying the oddities. Thought I would post a few, and likely more later. If you happen to have one if these weird pipes if they were even produced. PLEASE share. I would love to see them. Anyways, Here we go starting with built in lighters. (Favorite so far first in weirdness) Also, some patents have several drawings, however I will only be posting the first one. I also don't usually bother with much past the 1960's as they usually are made for other things...I'll look, but rarely find.
...the light...really
US1157771-0.png

https://www.google.com/patents/US3402723
US3402723-0.png

When it blows up in your face....
US2565858-0.png

SLINKY!
US2583900-0.png

Now for some multi-use pipes.
Cane Pipe #1
US1013776-0.png

Cane Pipe #2
US395426-0.png

Last but certainly not least....I want one...
For the clencher who needs to see in the dark.
US2646051-0.png

I am finding these all the time. If you want a patent for a weird pipe you have, give me some info/pictures and if I can find it or run across it I'll help you out. If someone has the flashlight one...and it works....whatcha need for it? I am considering taping a little light on one of my pipes now..

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
You wouldn't believe how many patents I have saved up involving Falcon/National Briar Pipe Co. and other various "system" pipes.....it's becoming an issue. Especially when I want to clean up my bookmarks and save it all. I'm enjoying it....you wait until I attach a little flash light to one of my pipes. LED is new...less bulk and it's better than a head light if it's on your pipe. ....P.S. If you ever wonder what a Bipolar pipe smoker does during a manic state....well this is it.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This wack-a-doodle was made in my small town in Hagerstown, MD. I whiffed on one offered on Ebay a few years ago, the metal pipe guy beat me to it.
US1241462-0.png

And the pipe that was produced:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah, Michael you always have a neat take on things!
I love the electric lighter, the one shown hanging from the light bulb fixture. Wonder if it comes in both 110 and 220? And with a warning sticker to not smoke it in the bathtub! With it being already wired, a flashlight or floodlight attachment would be easy and relatively light weight!
And it gets rid of that annoying dottle by apparently lighting from the bottom of the chamber.
Thanks, Tyler, for a great series!

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
I've been meaning to draw up plans for a combined tiny steam engine pipe. It wouldn't have to produce much energy, just spin and whistle would make me happy.
A friend was showing me pictures of a tiny "external combustion engine" he made. I asked what it does and he said "Oh nothing, it just sits on the bench and runs" :mrgreen:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I don't know if the gadgets on these Dunhill Patent pipes were patented but they are pretty cool. Friend and collector Tony Soderman brought these and other old unsmoked pipes to my place for the club inspection. ClickClick took the pictures. 8O

dscf6010.jpg

dscf6011.jpg

dscf6012.jpg

dscf6013.jpg

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Loving this thread!
Bi-Polar has many advantages Tyler. My wife has the dreaded condition but she has some very exciting abilities I am amazed by.

Status
Not open for further replies.