PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I had some small amounts of a few different blends from the box pass, so I decided to mix them all together and make my own blend. I used varying amounts of the following: NYPC Hells Kitchen, NYPC Jacks Shanty, Altadis Byzantium, GKCPC 2012(It's a club blend, but I can't remember which club) and pinch of H&H AJ's VaPer. All in all, it fills half of a half pint jar, which would equal roughly a quarter of an ounce. I dated and jarred it, and am now going to let it sit for a bit to let the flavor meld. The Beatles are one of my favorite bands, so I figured I'd name it after them.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Uberam3rica,
Your mixture sounds very interesting. I think you will like the results or it may be an inspiration or foundation to continue! There are some fine tobacco's in your jar. I learned many years ago a very hard lesson. I've been blending for decades. My best effort went unrewarded for years because I failed to write down the precise amounts and elements of my endeavor. Since that time I always record the elements, weights, measures and flavoring formulas in my record which is dated, named and the jar label reads exactly the same way. I know it is a lot of work. But, had I written it down, "Captain Bob's Blend" would have been born years earlier than it was! I wish you the best of luck. Let me know how it turns out.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
This blend has been sitting in the jar since 12/3/13. I figure once it starts to warm up a bit I'm going to pop the jar open. All those flavors have been melding for a year and two months. Hopefully its tasty.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had better luck when I put together relatively simpler blends, like McClellands 5100 Virginia Red Cake and

Lane's Burley Without Bite, with a little black Cavendish (Altadis Dark Obsession for example). These kinds of

mixes seem to come together nicely and provide a pleasant, sometimes unusually good smoke depending on

proportions. When I put together more complex blends, where I'm putting together blends that may have four

or more tobaccos each, and then I may mix five of them, it's much more difficult to get a mix that tastes good.

I have gotten lucky, but I'd say it's 20% or less in terms of chances of success. What's happened is the flavors

butt heads and usually the effect is rather harsh, or just not defined and piquant the way a good professional

blend would be. But there are those lucky shots, so good luck!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
You must fill us in!

Once it warms up a bit. It's so damn cold everyday, it kind of ruins the smoking experience.
I've had better luck when I put together relatively simpler blends

Well these were all small amounts, samples from the box pass. Two or three bowls worth of each at the most. I had a bunch of small samples, so I figured I'd see what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.