PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
May not be everyone's taste in music, but this is the great rendition of our "National Anthem" that was in D-Souza's "America"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=RDc8C7i9kdEf8&v=c8C7i9kdEf8

Jan 8, 2013
I've been following the band for a while now. And yes, they're national anthem is amazing. It's like a steel to booted kick in the teeth... in a good way :)

rwramsey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2014
The band is talented and videography is good, but I think I prefer a more traditional version.
For trailboss - what 'entitlement train' are your referring? Social Security?

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Hopefully I don't jump on tralboss's toes in answering this. People pay into programs like Social Security and Medicare and these are not the same type of entitlement programs as Government redistribution programs. (yes I know, people take substantially more out of SS than they ever pay in.)
People do not pay into WIC, Section 8 housing benefits, Welfare etc. and those are direct drags on working taxpayers. They are redistribution programs.
(But I'm sure you already understood that ;>) )
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” - John Galt

rwramsey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2014
@number6, yes I did understand exactly what I wrote.
My point is that anytime money is collected, either by a government in the form of taxes, or by a church in the form or offerings, or by a charity in the form of donations, and that money (or resource) is used, then that is redistribution. It has occurred (to some degree) since the beginning of time, it is how society functions. Now the question that remains is something along the lines of the worthiness of the redistribution. Are people who receive Section 8 housing or WIC less deserving of the redistribution than those who recieve other types of redistribution? Something to think about.
In my observations people usually consider a 'bad entitlement' as one the 'other guy' receives. Just my two cents, your opinions are just as valid as my own.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
rwramsey : I wish you were in Florida and we could sit down, have a few pints and a few pipe bowls, it would be an enjoyable evening.
We should be encouraged to help people less fortunate than us and we should try to ensure all have equal opportunity. I would disagree as to your premise about "bad entitlements", making that belief seem selfish. Programs that people have paid into, through either time or money are totally different than those that are essentially redistribution of income.
Frederick Douglas said it very well (and it applies to all races) : ""What shall we do with the Negro?" I have had but one answer from the beginning. Do nothing with us! Your doing with us has already played the mischief with us. Do nothing with us! If the apples will not remain on the tree of their own strength, if they are wormeaten at the core, if they are early ripe and disposed to fall, let them fall! I am not for tying or fastening them on the tree in any way, except by nature's plan, and if they will not stay there, let them fall. And if the Negro cannot stand on his own legs, let him fall also. All I ask is, give him a chance to stand on his own legs! Let him alone!"
People will never have equal outcome without the ability to fail, they will never succeed. The plantation mentality of the Great Society has created an underclass where the Federal Government is the Plantation owner providing all support, with no effort on the part of the supported.

cigarsmker

Might Stick Around
Jul 16, 2014
Riverview, FL
I believe everyone needs a hand up sometimes but I do not believe in hand outs

The more you give to people without any effort on their part the more they can become dependent

rwramsey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2014
number6 - Frederick Douglas lived 150 years ago, while his philosophy may have been appropriate for the 1860s, its not so appropriate today. Society has evolved a great deal since then. We've even evolved past LBJs Great Society. While all is far from perfect, we are certainly better off today then we were 150 years ago, or even 50 years ago.

I too wish we lived in a society were everyone has an equal opportunity to make the most of their lives, to be able to obtain an education and professional opportunities that would enable them fulfill their potential. But sadly, were are not there yet.
Except for a six year stint in the service, I have never knowingly accepted anything from the government. No student loan guarantees (thanks mom & dad), no medical care, no unemployment, nothing, and I hope I never need to. I pan to retire in about 5 months, and will do so on my own dime. I've worked hard and have been fortunate (and maybe a bit lucky), but others have not been. Not for lack of trying or drive, most are not lazy, in fact I believe that most would rather work and earn their way if they were able, capable or equipped to do so.
While everyone would rather pay less taxes, ours are still among the lowest in the western world. As our society has evolved we collectively provided safety nets and programs to help those who are (for many reasons) left behind, and that is how I believe that history will judge us, by how we treated the least fortunate amount us. I for one hope we are on the right side of history.

number6

Might Stick Around
Apr 28, 2011
Your white guilt may be showing? "Please stop helping us" by Jason Riley does a very good job of explaining much of the difficulty of the "programs"
150 or so years ago, another brilliant man said :“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”

― Booker T. Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.