PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Really happy with this one overall. it is a gift to my Dad for Father's day. The briar turned out to have a ton of worm holes, but it is what it is. I really tried to take advice from my last few pipes and put a lot of time and focus onto the stem. The chamber is a bit out of round as I still suck at drilling and was trying to change the angle of the bowl after the draft hole came in off center.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Aesthetics are impressive. To my eye, it is a beauty and should encourage you to keep at it. Stem is the perfect balance in my opinion. What a grand Father's Day present.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like it, and find it a very cool shape, especially with the plateau on the bottom. The grain on the sides is striking, and the stem has a slightly serpentine look with the bulge on the bottom. Kind of like a snake that just swallowed a rat, 8O and I mean that as a complement! I hardly noticed the bore being a little out of round, and it will probably never be noticed after its been smoked. Good work, looking forward to seeing more.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
That pipe is gorgeous! You dad will love it!!
I need to send my kid to you for lessons... I want pipes for Fathers day too!
:D

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That sanguine stain is nearly a perfect match for the stem. Just gorgeous! Beautiful work!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The pipe is eye catching. Colors of stem and pipe quite complimentary. Shaping of both a bit too 'clunky'.

Sacrifice the plateau and make it more of a balanced 'horn' or 'zulu', and trim down the stem to match the more svelte results from trimming off the front end and bottom of the wood. imo.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your dad will treasure this. It's an intriguing piece. I might call it a freehand as soon as a horn, but that's just nomenclature, which always gets slippery talking pipe shapes. The match of stain and stem, and the stem itself, are highly distinctive without being ungainly. What really pleased me was, the visual somehow suggested this might be quite a large pipe, but given scale, being shown held by hand, it is a graceful medium size. Anyway, your pappy will keep this as an honored gift for life and likely smoke the dickens out of it. I think some wear, some patina, would make it even more wonderful. What a great gift.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
While I've never been a fan of horns- I'm particularly impressed with how seamlessly that stem flows into the pipe- the stain is a perfect match for the stem....in some pictures I had trouble telling where the briar ended! Nicely done!

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Thanks for all of the kind words everyone! I find pipe making to be very relaxing!
I agree with newbroom on this. If it were my own pipe for my own tastes, the plateau would be gone. My dad requested it with plateau however, so it is what it is. I think the overall flow of the bowl would have been much more seamless without the plateau.
But either way, he'll love it. So that's all that really matters!
My next one is a hawkbill pencil shanked, for myself. I'll post it up when I finish it.
Thanks again for the kind words of encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.