PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
This one was a huge chunk of 5000 year old morta. I made an ebonite stem with bocote inlay, probably my best stem yet! First integral tenon I've done. Also, very first sandblast, morta is soft so there is some blowout around the knots. I assume with more experience I will get better at evening it out. Taking this to Chicago with me!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now that's a morta! What a handful. Great traditional pipe on a grand scale. You're really progressing. I think you'll do well in Chicago.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
WOW Adam! As crazy as I like my pipes this one hits the nail on the head. This is one outstanding pipe. Great job sir! 8O :worship:

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
:mrgreen: I'm green with envey for the lucky sole that gets this one. Hold your head up high in Chicago. This is a true class act.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Clean work as always.

I like the stem's manufacturing. Not easy to find such a big piesce of morta.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think you nailed that stem, AND the pipe! Great job! Now you're onto something. Classic shaping, and exquisite stem work.

Perseverance is paying dividends.

I see you as extremely creative, and learning to harness that creativity within the 'confines' of tobacco pipes.

I'd enjoy reading about the discoveries you've made as you've made more pipes.

What you find most enjoyable about the process (design, I'm guessing) and what you find most difficult.

What you've done to improve, change your perspective, or otherwise grown as a craft person.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Thanks everyone!
newbroom - I will be starting a new column for the NASPC Pipe Collector. I will be titling it "Thoughts from a Hobbyist PipeMaker" or something similar. The column will be my thoughts exactly how you are thinking. I have a ton of growing to do, so I think the column will be worthwhile and sustainable for a long while.
If you haven't a membership, it is a worthwhile investment. 6 issues per year for a $20 or so.
The Chicago show is this week. I am taking 14 pipes, 1 donated to the auction. Wish me luck! After this show, I will start fulfilling my 9 commission orders that have been slowly building up! I will be sure to post them all once they are finished and each owner has received them. There is a mixture of fantasy design and some traditional shapes that require quite a bit of discipline. I find both types to be challenging in their own ways. It is such therapy and much fun for me! I am happy to be able to share with you all!

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Hey Adam Good luck in Chicago! Hope everything sells out an you meet some good contacts. When you get a little free time look up LHS 99 pipes. I've got a wild thought. Don't ask what yet. won't tell. Possible big job. :nana:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wow that is one seriously Giant Pipe!!! LOVE Morta! Not having to worry so much about rim charring is a nice luxury!

Status
Not open for further replies.