PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
So this thing started as a magnum Brandy. 7/8" by 3" tobacco chamber, absolutely monstrous. I fell in love with the grain and 4 pits showed up. I decided I wanted to keep it smooth so worked 3 pits out. Went to chase the last one and it just kept going and going and going. What I am left with is a cobra tomato! Only my 3rd time using ebonite and this brand was SEM. I am not happy with how it polished so I think on my next go I'll have to wet sand to 800 grit to try and take all of the blemishes out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oval bowl and elegant shaping, not to mention terrific grain. Quite a classy looker.

lohengrin

Lifer
Jun 16, 2015
Always nice works from you!

Just a couple of questions:

it looks like a rather small pipe. Can you tell us the dimensions?

Did you carve the number with a dremel or by hand?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Weight 50g

Length 6.25 inches

Bowl height 1.3 inches

Bowl OD 1.82 inches

7/8 inch chamber diameter

Useable tobacco chamber depth 0.875 inches

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
It a beauty Adam. You didn't happen to take a picture of it before you started chasing the pits. so we can see how big it was going to be?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Fine work, as usual. Anyone who says different is a pipe lunk or a downright zombie-buzzard!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I see continued progress, what is considered Danish influence, and what promises to be a nice smoker.

Are you starting with solid materials for the bowl and stem?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
newbroom,
The briar I get directly from Steve Norse at vermontfreehand. I have used Manno, Mimmo, and Algerian. This particular block was a Grade 2 Jumbo Algerian . . . at least that is what it started from LOL! The Ebonite on this one is German SEM, supposedly the best available, I have only used the NYH brand the other 2 times so I can't really speak much for it, except this SEM is much harder to polish smooth than the NYH brand. I use delrin tenons since I don't have a lathe yet. My drilling also need improvement, I do most of it by eye on a drill press. I need a better setup in that regard but have been putting it off for plans of the problem taking care of itself when I actually get a lathe.
When I'm not using ebonite I prefer making stems from Acrylic. I use fiebings leather dye for staining, I use a denatured and shellac mix for sealing the stain, very thin, apply and wipe off (this is actually used by most high grade pipe makers, so please don't scoff at the idea. This keeps the stain from fading and rubbing off on your fingers). I then use red trip polishing compound, then white diamond, and finally finish with carnuba wax.
I'm still in my infancy but this brings me much happiness!
I really enjoy making fantasy type pipes, but lately I have been doing more danish inspired shapes since I am preparing to get ready for the Chicago Pipe Show and the fantasy stuff takes quite a bit more time for me. I will probably get run out of the show since I've only been at it since May 2015, but I'll have fun regardless.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You must have to have a certain, I don't know, Zen? sense of acceptance with regards the imperfections you encounter in the wood, or it would become a source of frustration rather than the opportunity you make it.

I'm impressed that you are making the stems without a more precise drilling tool (lathe) as well as with the rest of the efforts you put forth.

I think Mark Balkovek makes some of the finest stems in the business. Someone worth looking at.

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Mark B's work is absolutely impeccable. I follow him on facebook and I always impressed by each pipe he posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.