PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
I had bought a bunch of local brick & mortar blends, none of which were doing it for me. Each had something going for it, but they also had some strikes against them, and I found myself not reaching for them. Then, it occurred to me: Why not make my own blend. So, I did.
Some vanilla black cavendish (with no discernible vanilla flavor when smoked alone), some Balkan, some very mild English.
Not really sure what was in all of that, but I have to say, it's not as bad as I feared it might be.
Lots of creamy smoke (which I like), alternating pepper and sweetness. Different, but not bad. I kind of like it. (Not sure what that says about my taste.)
I think I'll jar it and cellar it, and see what happens.
Had my first Mississippi River two nights ago...loved it. Ordered my first tin of Plum Pudding immediately. I figured if Mississippi River as good, Plum Pudding had to be better. We'll see!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I call my home concoctions "mixes," since they involve no pressure, stoving, or other processing. This is one of the fundamental benefits of pipes, the ability to vary and control your blends by simple mixing. For us amateurs, best to try with limited ingredients, for me generally only a few single leaf tobaccos or one condiment added to already blended tobacco, for best results. The big adventure is in trying different proportions. The simplest recipe is equal parts Virginia and burley with perhaps a pinch of additional single condiment such as unflavored Cavendish, Turkish, dark-fired, etc. I'm a little biased that Latakia and Perique are already over-represented, so I seldom add them, but others surely do. You can go wild and make a mix of every leftover on your rack, but simplicity has often rewarded me, whereas random mixes are often just kind of muddy in the flavor department. The joy is, it's all to your taste; do what you want. Go wild or be deliberate. It's your kingdom as a pipe smoker.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Deck', minus a touch of some rum & ignoring most of the vanilla, & it sounds like it could almost be close to Black Frigate. It's the amazing thing, like cooking, where just a touch added or taken away, & you've got something completely different. It's a marvelous thing. Enjoy the heck out of it!

deckpiper

Might Stick Around
Apr 18, 2018
Thanks for the comments. And, I did enjoy it tonight as well.
I have to say, each individual tobacco was fine in its own right, but somewhat shallow or one-dimensional to my tastes.
The mixture (probably a better word than blend) has a depth they didn't have...a multi-dimensionality that was absent. I was worried that I would ruin them, but I wasn't smoking them anyway...and the whole mixture turned out to be greater than the mere sum of the parts.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Often that way,yeah. Biggest Rule? WRITE. IT. DOWN!! -laugh- If it's good you'll be able to revrey it, & if it's bad you'll be able to *avoid* it! }:)

Status
Not open for further replies.