PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I just finished making my first pipe and am smoking it as I type this. I dont have a lathe(wood or metal) or drill press or belt sander or any real tools. Just a hand drill and a buffing wheel and some determination. I probably should have bought a pre-drilled kit, or at least a premade stem, but I like to do things the hard way. So the drilling is a bit off center and there are a few other little learning mistakes but I feel that it turned out ok for a first attempt at a pipe. I learned a lot from this process and look forward to my next pipe. Anyway I figured a few people would like to see it, so here are a few pictures.
DSC03117.jpg

DSC03125.jpg

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I think it turned out nice - very elegant, art-deco look to it (in only a good way). I like the thinness of the shank and stem. Great job!
How's she smoke?

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Dude are you kidding?? That looks FANTASTIC, especially for your first pipe. Obviously you will be the only one to know its flaws, but that knowledge will make your next pipe superior to this one. I hope that pipe smokes as good as it looks. If so, that is a winner.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks everyone, as far as smoking characteristics go, so far so good. I didn't precoat the bowl so im getting some new bowl flavor... Ill have to look into that for future pipes

K

klause

Unbelievable!
That is absolutely super given the tools you had, and the fact this is your first pipe.
If this is your starting point where are you going to be in 10, 50, 100 pipes?
You have a talent that you have only just started to unleash - bravo.

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
Thanks everyone, I have always been good working with my hands so I figured I would give this a try. I dont have any "Danish eggs" in my collection, so thats sort of what I was going for.
Im a long way from making anything I would be considered showing to a real pipe maker. But not too far from where I would consider making them gifts. :)

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Amazing job! Truly hand made! I bet you can't wait to make your next one.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I'd say you set the bar mighty high for the rest of us! That will be a tough one to follow! Absolutely beautiful.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
7ach
I must say that is amazing,just using hand tools. Can you tell us its final weight? Did you do the stem also, or is it a premade item?
Congrats on amazing first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.