PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
So, the snow is mostly gone so I finally go to search for Pipe Makin' shit, I go find a small crowded out maple tree (trees that struggle for light are denser, tighter rings) I cut the tree with my Swiss army knife saw.

Then after that I found a bush stem with a central pith, I drilled into that as far as I could, then after struggling by hand to ream out the pith with a potato sack tie wire by hand, I then put the wire in my drill, a Duh moment as to why did I did not do that before? The bowl was drilled and then reamed out by my knife blade and knife saw.

So here it is, it smokes great, but clogs quick as the stem hole is too narrow.

cimg7021-150x112.jpg

cimg7022-150x112.jpg

cimg7018-150x112.jpg

*not my first pipe.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
nardzorb,
Nice job. This is how a lot of cob pipes were made as well. I run across a lot of "old timers" who often tell me that they grew up on a farm and rather than spend money on a store-bought cob pipe, they made their own by reaming out a cob with their pocket knife and using the top of the corn stalk for a quick stem. If you can find you a 1/8" x 8" drill bit, it should do a good job at removing the pith and opening up the stem enough that you don't have the clogging issue.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Looks sturdy and rustic, a pioneer pipe. You could fit it with a stouter shank with a wider airway,

then add a lucite or vulcanite stem, but I like the way this looks, a real woodsman's pipe.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
I actually just dried out two corn cobs to make pipes with virginiacob. It may be a good investment to buy a drill bit that long, I don't think they are cheap, but I will look around. (this stem is curved though)
mso469, was thinking about how I could join the segments if I cut it up in sizes my drill bit could handle.
Another problem I am having is cracking from the wood drying out, going to fill those with wood glue I guess. But to prevent the problem to begin with? I will have to use some sort of ring clamps or twisted wire around the bowl.
Still smokes like a champ and an interesting unintended feature is that there is sort of a bottleneck in the bowl so when you put in the pipe weed it leaves an empty space at the bottom making for unobtrusive puffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.