PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chawz

Lurker
May 29, 2011
Alaska
So I used to think my standard tamper used to be the Czech tool but I find that I keep grabbing for the made in China pipe nail. It's simple and fits in the pocket nicely. Although the Brebbia looks cooler and is stamped out cleaner it doesn't tamp as well with a square shape. I do have some fancy pipe tampers but I like the scraper, tamper combo with the 99 c nail.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hmm, sounds interesting. I like the Brebbia nail, no fiddly things to unfold just all business on both ends (and easy to wipe clean for carrying in the pocket. While smoking, I hold it between my fingers of the bowl hand, nothing to lay down and forget. But, that round tamper ends sounds like an upgrade on the Chinese tool. Where did you pick it up?

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I do find myself reaching for the nail quite often. I like the way the Czech tool looks, but the aluminum nail tends to be my go to tool. I also tend to misplace Czech tools more often.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have several Czech pipe tools, but pipe nails have taken over their job. I have two round ones and one

with the square tamper head. I keep trying to think how to have a pipe nail more handy, since they seem

to get lost in pockets, breast or trousers, under keys, comb, pocket knife, sunglasses, loose change. I

have to empty my pockets to find them. So I tend to keep them on top of a box of matches or beside.

Maybe I could make a secure pocket in my hats, or something. But I track them well enough so they don't

get lost. I have a beautiful tamper with a little tapered scoop end, but the pipe nails are so light, simple,

and direct to the purpose, they are hard to resist. I don't play golf, but perhaps a bag of inexpensive wood

golf tees would also fill in when the pipe nails are in hiding. They improvise pretty well for the job.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
You should be able to pick up the el cheapo pipe nails online. I have other tampers, but it's the only one I use. Dirt cheap, if I lose it I have half a dozen more and it works great.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Uh, no offense, fellas, but I use a "real" nail. It is 3.5 inches long, has a flat head for tamping and it didn't cost me a dime. Found it years ago somewhere long forgotten. I just keep it in my pocket. The point is kind of blunted now, but sa la vie. Works just fine.
And for transparency, I do have a pipe tool they call the "whale," that I ordered from Dan Pipe in the '80s. I rarely use it because at the rate I lose things, it would not make it out of the house and back on the same day.
The real nail can be replaced easily enough.

Aug 14, 2012
There are at least two versions of the pipe nail. One says made in China. Another has no inscription and is longer.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Chinese pipe nails are the tampers I use the most often, definitely pick up a tamper made by James here on the forums, he's a tamper wizard. The Czech pipe tools are all kinds of cheap, the thin metal plating wears off very quickly and I don't care for all the flippy things.

Status
Not open for further replies.