PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Yo,
I was bored today so I packed my rucksack with a folding saw and a knife and took my pooch for a walk in the woods. There is an abundant load of hazel trees around in some areas and plenty good straight bits for me to take and work with.
Figured I'd make a pipe rack! :)
Nothing fancy, just practical and easy enough to do while sat down in the grass with my dog and a bowl of Erinmore flake in my Carey magic inch. ;)
All cut and cleaned up ready to take back for a few tack nails to hold it together.

Quickly put together to check it was straight and good.

After some final whittling to make it as good as it can be without farting about with my gouges etc and bam! full of pipes and quite good looking considering.

It doesn't fit all my pipes, still have another half that ammount scattered around amongst knives and shelves etc but for now I'm pelased. I'm considering getting a nother length of hazel and extending it upwards so it can actaully hold them all, but some are biiiig and I'm kinda lazy. :D
Anyway, thanks for looking!

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Put a slip of card under the bowls for a better picture and to keep my white shelf.. white. lol

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I think that is WONDERFUL!!!! Primary creativity expressed in the sweet by and by of a smoke! Can't get much better!

:puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Great first draft.
I think you're on to something here. If you season the wood for a year, strip the bark, use pegs instead of nails you'll have a masterpiece.
Nice work. I just believe you can take that concept from nice to jaw dropping with a little time and patience.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
Thanks a bunch for the kind words gents!
As it was a first and merely made for my pipes to go on as they were previously in an old wine box, I didn't make the effort to go for something fancy. But.. now I've got the creative bug.
Two more hazel branches harvested today.

This one will be made to a much tighter standard, using dowels instead of nails and all connecting ends will be gouged to fit snug and flush to eachother. I'll leave on the bark as I like it but I may oven them for short stints to dehydrate and cure the wood.
Stay tuned, may start today if the kids keep driving me mad! lol

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
yep, it's hollow on the bottom. Didn't see the point in adding little hazel rafters when it's going exactly where it is now..

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
smart. Oh and by the way, really nice job. Simple, rustic which is a quality that I fancy, does the job. :clap:
:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.