PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
Why hasn't anyone told me how amazing Irish Flake is?!
I could been smoking this shit all year!
Kidding of course. Not mad at anyone, but this stuff is amazing...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Peterson's? Ya, I've been keeping it a secret. Sorry.

It's a great alternative to Capstan, ODF, Stonehaven, and many mixes of dark fired and flue cured (ie. VaBurs)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Irish Flake and University Flake are in my next order ... gotta give ODF a rest! :D

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
I gotta be honest fellas. I liked it better than I liked ODF. Not to knock ODF at all. I really enjoyed it too, but this was incredible...

Jul 15, 2011
Have 6 tins of this. Haven't tried any of it yet. "What in the actual hell is wrong with me?" you may ask. My response: I got nothing.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Oh I thought you were going to say McConnell Scottish Flake or perhaps Sillems Mayor 1814 Flake .They both contain red Virginia .My secrets safe for now ,that was a close one . :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
McConnell Scottish Flake
Is there any chance that Scottish Cake is the same as this tobacco, just broken up before tinning? I have a few tins on hand and can't stand the stuff, wondered if the flake was any different.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Am I the only one who feels a pang when they don't like a popular blend? I know that's the way it goes and there's no point smoking something you don't like. Still it feels a bit like missing a good party. Glad you like it though, it's always great to find a blend that gets you worked up for all the right reasons.

Jul 15, 2011
Am I the only one who feels a pang when they don't like a popular blend?
Nope, I felt the same way when I realized that Penzance....
wait for it!.....
Just doesn't do anything for me.
I get why a lot of people like it, I really do, and I appreciate that it is a high quality tobacco, I just have other mixtures that I like so much better.....please, don't hurt me. :crying:

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Oh yes. It might get its own dedicated pipe...
I keep a small beat-up old WDC dedicated to it, nothing else touches that pipe.
I certainly like ODF but IF is definitely the better blend of the two (for me anyway). I'm typically a fold and stuff kind of guy but IF is the one flake that I cube cut.
For anyone that hasn't tried Irish Flake but intends to, one tip. Don't fill your bowl more than about 3/4 full. This isn't because of the strong nic kick (and it has one) but because this stuff is HIGHLY compressed and puffs up like popcorn when you burn it due to the density.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Why? I can't grasp the concept of cellaring a bunch of terbaccy that I don't even know if I like... :?:

Why Not? 6 tins is hardly a fortune, doesn't take up much space, will hold its value..... If/when he gets around to trying it and loves it -----GREAT!!! If he doesn't-----GREAT!!! Trading material, sell it whatever! Its not really a concept. I've got several tins 20+ years old, never tried them, don't even know if I like them, but I'll get to them.........someday. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.