PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hey guys, I've been thinking about buying a Macqueen pipe as a birthday gift to myself. But I've heard that there is a crazy long wait to get your pipe, is this true? How long on average is the wait?

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
The wait will be about 4 months minimum, but it wouldn't surprise me if it took more around 6-8 months.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have one, it is a neat piece and smokes pretty darn well. That being said, the saga for me was almost 8 months and just not really worth the aggravation. I also bought a Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson churchwarden with a second stem to really scratch the churchwarden itch. The Stanwell is an outstanding pipe, if I were you I'd save a little more and buy a nicer pipe.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I've really been wanting a cherrywood Churchwarden though. I've had the worst time even looking for other places that actually use cherrywood let alone make churchwardens out of them.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Another thing I just couldn't get over was that the mouth tip was wood, I know the macqueens look great but a regular briar pipe is a more comfortable smoke.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Shayde if you can find one at a B&M then go for it, at least you won't have to wait, I would just caution you against trying to purchase one from them direct. I know my local B&M had a few in stock a few weeks ago and they will ship them out. Not sure where you're at but if you're interested I can send you the website link and you can call them to try to order. They're in Canada so not sure about international shipping etc. but let me know if you're interested. Not affiliated with them, they are just a great shop that has really helped us get out pipe club up and running.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
wnghanglow its actually surprisingly comfortable on the bit, definitely not a clencher but it is remarkably light and the wooden stem is quite nice. That's actually one of the things that attracted me to it.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I wouldn't mind it being wood, I don't clench my pipes anyway so it's not a big deal to me. I also think that I'd consider it a nice change of pace from a vulcanite or lucite stem.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
Davidson if you're not affiliated with the company you can post a link to the website in the forum, I know I'd like to just see what they have in stock.

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
I usually clench so maybe that's why it felt weird to me, I felt it was going to splinter lol

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I actually travel to Canada quiet a bit so that might be a possibility. I do, however, kind of like the idea that when you order a pipe directly it's made specifically for you.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Their website is somewhat lacking in terms of their online inventory, and being in Canada they can't show their tobacco selections at all. If they're not listed you'd have to call, I believe they were about $50 CDN when I looked at them. www.victorycigars.ca
The phone number is there and you can talk to Haley, Kevin or Julian about the MacQueen's they have in stock.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Gotcha with the clenching, when the bit gets a bit soggy I can definitely see how that would feel like its ready to splinter. Shayde, while they report that they are producing a pipe "just for you" it is by no means a commission of a personal pipe, they just produce the same pipe for everyone except they don't build it until someone orders it. They don't carry inventory that way but it is the main reason they take so long. The pipe you order from a B&M from MacQueen will be identical to the pipe you receive from them direct. Even on a bulk order of around 15 pipes, Victory Cigars didn't receive their order for 6 months!

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I still kind of like the thought that the pipe that I receive was only made because I wanted it to be. I couldn't fid any Mac queens on the site, but I will most likely be calling them to see what all they have :)

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Good luck Shayde, if you need help in the shipping dept if they won't ship to where you are (although I'm sure they will) let me know and I'll try to help. I work in the mailing industry so I have access to all kinds of shipping methods and I live about 10 minutes away from Victory. Its just too bad that this maybe your course of action to get a pipe instead of just ordering one direct. Check smokingpipes.com too or pipesandcigars.com as they sometimes carry them.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
shayde their ranger pipe looks pretty cool. I do like the rock stand that comes with the pipe and stand packages.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
@brdavidson: thanks man I really appreciate it, I should be ready to purchase one fairly soon and I will most definitely be contacting them. Do you know if they use emails frequently? As international calls cost a pretty penny.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I connect with them regularly via email, but I do work with them a lot on the pipe club so they may be a little more responsive to me. Go that route and I'm sure it will be fine, there is a toll free number on the shop online portion, give that a try.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I love my macqueen churchwarden, i think i waited 8 months for mine ha. It was worth the wait, but maybe aim to have it for next christmas!

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I had one(sold it) didnt care for the stem to much either. Best churchwarden I have is a Boswell Mini ball. Light, draws nice. But then again I am very much a Boswell guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.