PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's the choice, for a single pipe purchase. This assumes, for now anyway, you're buying

one pipe. You are choosing between a really unique machine made pipe of high quality in

a rather unique shape that isn't widely available, though it is produced from time to time, and

this version is in an especially bright, appealing finish and stem color. The competing pipe is

a dashing shape in an exemplary finish, and being handmade, it is one of a kind. The prices

are both within budget. Do you always go with the handmade? Flip a coin? Go completely

on intuition? How do you size this one up?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Interesting question. I guess it would really boil down the the quality of the manufacturer. If it is a well respected manufacturer making the machine made pipe, and a no name on the handmade, I might be inclined to go with the machine made. However, I love the idea of handmade, and that will usually trump machine made any day in my books.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Given the choice between Dunhill/Castello or Rad Davis/Scott Thile, I'll take an artisan pipe every time.
And if you don't believe me I invite you to take a look at my pipe racks.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
For me, artisan made. Any artisan can improve on a machine made pipe, IMO. I think there is a ton of forethought that goes into an artisan handmade pipe, and the bits are just ungodly comfortable. And besides, I feel a lot better giving my money and feedback to the little guy other than a pipe manufacturing company.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
colorduke's point is an interesting one. If I read him correctly, for shear good smoking, a machine pipe has the

best chance, arguably because making the same pipe over and over gives the makers more control and more

often lets them get it right. Some artisans, despite never doing the same pipe twice, still do an incredible job

of getting the engineering correct. But on shear probabilities, a quality machine pipe should have repetition on

its side. Some of my artisan pipes are just right too, but it is certainly an apt argument. If I am understanding it

correctly.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
A factory-set up is expensive, so to make money you need to make as many pipes in as little time as possible. As for quality control, the product needs to be "acceptable" but minor flaws are allowed because paying too much attention to detail slows down the line. It's a balance.
Some people (like me) don't mind paying a little extra for a one of a kind pipe from a single artisan. Others will prefer to spend a similar amount for a factory made Dunhill or Castello that is a standard shape, but still has been made in small enough volumes that the makers can still pay a high degree of attention to detail. And others may prefer to have a less expensive but still serviceable pipe that's made in a factory that cranks 'em out by the thousands.
In general, the slower you make something, the more time you have to pay attention to detail.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
I will always go for the Artisan pipe...there is usually more attention to detail, draft hole, smoke hole and button...and if its not "just right" I know the pipe carver will do the necessary adjustments to make it right...my Rad Davis, Morgan, and Talbert pipes smoke better than any mass produced pipe

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
mso489,you read it right,nothing wrong with high end fancy pipes,just not my cup of tea.I have close to 150 Grabows and they all smoke great If I break the stem or whatever sure i'll be mad but I would be pi$$ed if I broke the stem or lost a more expenseive pipe.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Makes no difference to me. I go with the style, weight, finish that appeals to me.
But if I were forced to pick one, I would lean toward a name-brand pipe every time rather than an artisan pipe, assuming they were both quality pipes. I like having a name with historical significance on the shank, even though that name today may have nothing to do with that name of 100 years ago. I started smoking a pipe in 1980 and have strong associations with the brands that were well-known at that time. Pipes with those names mean something to me. An artisan pipe doesn't come with any of those connotations.
I also favor traditional shapes. Most artisan pipes are not traditional shapes, since so many artisans see themselves as artists as well as pipemakers. When it comes to pipes, I favor the pipemakers; I don't want an "arty" pipe or even a unique one.
Bob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
rmbittner, interesting perspective! I hadn't heard from a Forums member who was specifically a name-brand/machine made

enthusiast, but it's good to know you're out there. I have both. Some artisans also go for volume, like Johs, who does excellent

pipes. The North Carolina carver Jerry Perry does great pipes with a real traditional flavor, some of Mountain Laurel instead of

briar. I also love my Petersons, Savenellis, BC's, Chacom, MM cobs, and Dr. Grabow. I've traded off a few brand-name pipes

that just weren't right for me, but mostly I've been satisfied with pipes from both sources. I don't think it is that I am easily pleased;

I just shop and deliberate and usually get a satisfactory to excellent result -- don't buy on impulse much.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I always choose the pipe, that appeals to me more at a given time. This might be an artisan pipe, or a machine made pipe. I check every pipe I buy for correct drilling, finish and stem work, otherwise I won't buy it, wherever it comes from. Sometimes I prefer classic shapes, which are widely spread in the machine made segment and sometimes something unique.

PlanxtyPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2013
I'd just have to go with whichever one appealed to me more at the time I'm buying. I think high end machine made pipes like Dunhills and Castellos are fantastic pipes. There is something about a "classic" shape from a brand name with a longstanding tradition that really appeals to me. That said I also love a beautiful artisan pipe (though I'm not lucky enough to own any yet). I wouldn't be that hung up on how the pipe was made as long as I love the way it looks and feels.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was trying come up with a phrase as to what attracts me to the older, British classic makers and shapes. Then, today, while reading a back issue of "The Pipe Collector", I read this quote, which nails it:
There are many exquisitely beautiful modern pipes, but, for me, they lack the modesty, charm, restraint, and un-self-consciousness of the older pieces.”

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Handmade. I have no interest in unique looking etc pipes, whereas I would be happy to know that some skill had gone into making my pipe, and it is enough for me to know that it is unique, as opposed to crassly showing it off through a unique design. I'd sooner have a straight rustic billiard than a one of these odd 'freehand' pipes any day.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
CnD's post is the first one that I agree with.
All pipes are "machine made" and all pipes are "handmade". ALL pipes. If they are made well (good internal geometry), from good stuff, you have a good pipe. It's that simple.
So the OP's question here is, to me, one that stems from an assumption which is fundamentally meaningless. If the question is would I rather have a frazed shape or a unique shape.... personally ... it depends on the shape!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"All pipes are "machine made" and all pipes are "handmade". "
Yeah, I decided to ignore the OP's terminology and assume that the question was really: "Do you prefer a brand-name pipe or a pipe made by an independent artisan?"
After all, I've had Charatans that were hand-made. And everyone uses machines to make pipes.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.