PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Popped the top on my first tin. I'm not very good with words , so i'll just say it's worth every penny. A little sweet to me but very tolerable. Smells great momma even liked the roomnote. Buying some more .

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I love the flavour but feel like i have not latched on to the perfect combo of bowl size, flake prep, dry time, packing tightness... i get a lot of pipe cleaner down the stem action when smoking ODF.

suggestions?
Isaac

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
suggestions?
Here is what I've found to deliver the best flavor for me:
Cube cut into 1/4" cubes and give a gentle rub between the fingers, dry until almost but not quite crispy feeling, gravity pack by tapping on the side of the bowl and then top off with some well rubbed out "kindling". Char, char, tamp and light.
Bowl size can vary but I reach for a medium sized bowl such as the MM Washington or Legend.
This is my method for most flakes. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think! :puffy:

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Glad you found something you like!! I personally think its garbage, no flavor at all, hot air to me.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I get it in bulk where it's pretty much rubbed out. Load in the conventional manor and smoke it. Yummy stuff.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I agree with all you positive people, this is good baccy ordered 16oz bulk to smoke an 10 tins for cellar. thks guys. seadogontheland you might think about going back to smoking a pipe full time again been following your posts your getting a little cranky. I know why your stopping friend but WOW

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Hi Scrooge,

I am smoking a pipe again, my friend. I'm just being honest about my experiences...I really am glad the OP and others like this blend...but for me it was a huge disappointment. IMHO many of these Danish type flakes and blends are just vapid. Can't I convey that here? I mean I imparted a positive message to the OP but put in my thoughts as well. Believe me, If I were not smoking now I'd be starting hate threads and no one wants to see that mess :).

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'll side with Seadog on this one......... I keep reading great things about it, then I smoke a bowl of it and.........nothing.......I don't get much taste or anything. I'm a big fan of KFC cigars, but the dark fired just doesn't do it for me in the pipe.......I've got 4 unopened tins, still in a cellophane sleeve dated Mar. 2013 if anyone is interested.........

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Yes Sir seadog, Your opinions are very welcomed didn't mean it in a negative way my comment . just a little concerned. I apolagise if it came across that way. An beefeater I'm interested but not allowed to do any outright buying or trading because of my newbie status. what do you like to smoke? brand please

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
All is good, Scrooge. I don't think there is a forum rule against you sending a PM to Beef and doing private business.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Cobguy, thanks I will try, I have applied your gravity packing flake advice before and found it good, the ODF i have open right now is the ready rubbed bulk, i think i will dry it out longer than I usually would.
KFC cigars? they must be finger licking good, Beefeater you a chickeneater too then?
Isaac.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Ahhhh, just opened a tin of Old Dark Fired. It's great in a Cobb. I get ceder notes near the bottom of the bowl. With a wonderful chocolate smokey nuttiness.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dark fired is burley, and it seems true of burley that some pipe smokers can't taste it, and others who can, find it unpleasant, as in regurgitating. But for many others, burley is a full flavored and complex smoke. A Forums member sent me a sample of Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired, and I found it flavorful and vibrant. So I bought a ladder of dark fired blends. So far I haven't gotten back to ODF, but I'm looking forward to it. Dark fired has been around for quite a while, but it seems to be used now more as a flavoring leaf, like Latakia and Perique. If you have a taste for burley, it's a fine smoke. For others, I guess, it's pretty dreadful. It's a different experience for various people.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If you want to try some Dark Fired in a more easy going smoke

with some sweetness, check out Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake.
It has a light topping of molasses or something slightly sweet which tempers the DFK.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Thanks cobguy I've had a can just sitting on the shelf staring at me I guess it's time to pop the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.