***** = Highest/Best
MacBaren Virginia No.1 Review
Flavor: ****
Nicotine Strength: **
Smoothness: ****
Complexity: **
Room Note: ****
Final Thoughts:
Lightly topped pure Virginia blend. Nice, sweet honey/vanilla/natural tobacco flavor and room note. I have read many negative reviews of this blend and was expecting the dreaded MacBite I usually get from MacBaren, but was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and cool it smoked. A very nice lightly-topped, slightly sweet, smooth, low nicotine, all-day smoke.
Overall Rating: ****
Pipe Used: Unfiltered Bent Dublin Briar
Will Buy Again: Yes

May 4, 2015
Thanks for posting this! I have a fairly old can I'm saving for a rainy day! If I pop it and we're both still around, I'll be sure to send you some.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Thanks for the review. I buy #1 by the pound. It bit me when I first started smoking it, but learned fast to slow way down to avoid the bite and get more flavor. Another good one, kinda in the same ballpark, is PS Luxury Twist Flake, which I also buy by the pound. I find that running both Virginia #1 and Luxury Twist Flake thru my grinder gives me a more favorable smoke with less bite.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
None of the Mac Baren offerings have bit me, and I still miss their Mature Virginia. :crying:

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have a half pound of this newer stuff put up in bulk and several tins as well. I have two of those larger (7 oz?) tons from the 1970’s and 1990 judging from the importer. The tobacco in both was perfectly aged. Almost 50 years old, not damp and it still bitese like nothing else! But, I like the stuff!

Mike S.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
After smoking more of it, I have to subtract one star from the overall rating. It does start to bite and become somewhat harsh after a couple of bowls, regardless of drying time or how slow I smoke it. But with that said, it is certainly not bad, and it is still the smoothest MacBaren blend I have tried so far. But not really an all-day blend for me.
I am really starting to believe that MacBaren blends were meant to be smoked with a filter, like most Europeans do. For whatever the reason, they are simply too harsh for most smokers without one.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I find Va. No 1 greatly benefits from age, and reduces what harshness is there. Filters do help, though I refuse to use them. One thing to remember is that MacBaren doesn't case their tobaccos, though they will top them. That's a bit of what accounts for those who do get bite and harshness.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
I find Va. No 1 greatly benefits from age, and reduces what harshness is there. Filters do help, though I refuse to use them. One thing to remember is that MacBaren doesn't case their tobaccos, though they will top them. That's a bit of what accounts for those who do get bite and harshness.
I was confused about the terms casing and topping. I thought they were the same thing until I read this:
This is from the FAQ on Greg Pease's website:
Q: I keep hearing about "cased" tobacco. What does this mean?
A: There are two things of interest here, namely "casing" and "top flavouring." They are two distinctly different approaches to altering a blend's flavor. Some tobaccos employ both.
Casing requires that the tobacco be soaked in or sprayed with a "sauce" that may contain sugar, molasses, liquorice, alcohols like rum or whiskey, and various flavourings, natural or otherwise, depending on the manufacturer. Once the tobacco "drinks" the sauce, it's conditioned in large cylinders that dry it back to the desired moisture level, generally between 12% (on the dry side) and 22% (very moist). Optimal moisture for smoking depends on the smoker, but it's generally in the 13-16% range. The aromas and flavours imparted by casing will remain in the tobacco pretty tenaciously, and will affect the smoke throughout the bowl.
Top-flavouring is added by spraying the finished blend with scents and flavourings. This is usually a much lighter application, and doesn't alter the moisture content of the leaf dramatically. Sometimes called "top-notes," this can be quite ephemeral. Because of the volatile nature of many of the commonly used components, a tobacco left to "air out" may lose a lot of the perfume that's applied this way.
Depending on the casing used, tobaccos can become very sticky. Some producers use humectants to maintain a specific moisture level in the final product. You'll hear people talk about PG, or propylene glycol, the most commonly used humectant these days. It's generally spoken of in rather disparaging terms, thought it's not the PG that deserves the condmenation, but the blending houses who use it with reckless abandon. If the tobacco won't dry out, PG is likely the culprit. In small quantities, it does its job well. In large quantities, it produces a sticky, wet smoking, pipe clogging weed that should never see the inside of a pipe.
Not all flavoured tobaccos are cased, and casing is not always a bad thing, but the term is used incorrectly more often than not, so a lot of confusion has been created.
link
Whatever the cause, MacBaren blends are harsh for me and bite like no other. I don't doubt that the toppings they use contribute to the harshness many experience. I wonder if it's also from them using such young virginias in most of their blends. But I'm with you- I also refuse to use filters.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Quint: have you tried drying it completely out? That works for some people. As for casing, it helps tone down the harshness of raw tobacco which you don't want to smoke. Without casing, even a topping may not help you avoid bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.