PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hessenland

Might Stick Around
Jan 31, 2011
Moscow, ID
I have been of mixed opinion concerning MB VF for a year now, yet it finds its way into my pipe maybe every month or so. It seems very bland, yet sometimes that seems to be the right thing, especially when I'm doing something else in the meantime.
Does anybody else have the same approach to the tobacco?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Hessenland.
Yes, is the short answer to your question.

I haven't tried MB VF as of yet, but I do smoke 1Q when I feel like having a pipe and don't want to worry about concentrating on complexity of flavor.

I smoke Lane's 1Q for days sometimes before smoking something more sophisticated.

I find that it is a good tobacco. And, if I desire something more complex - I can attend to the subtleties more readily. The flavors in blends like Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd, or PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake come through quite clearly.

For me continually swapping up tobaccos too often lessens the enjoyment. "IMHO"
Again, we're glad to have you aboard!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I have not had that blend but on occasion smoke Virginia #1 , something about that honey topping seems to set up good reason to smoke a ARO .

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I like Mac Baren Virginia Flake. I wouldn't say I love it, but I like it a lot.
I have had some very good smokes with it, and a few not as good.
I left it in the tin after opening and found that the tin doesn't really seal back up.
This one is better when it is fresh and not too dried out. Then it has a nice natural sweet Virginia flavor, with maybe just tiny hints of vanilla sneaking in every once in a while.
You also need to smoke it slow.
I find this one is best smoked when I am relaxed. If I smoke it while being stressed or rushed doing some work, then I puff too hard and get a tongue bite.
Tobacco doesn't bite.
People puffing too hard on it cause it to bite.
I have one tin out of two left and I would definitely get more.
It's not really the same as Orlik Golden Sliced, but it's in a similar neighborhood.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
hessenland,
I find several Virginias that way but liken my experiance with them to water: It can be very bland but sometimes the body craves it and nothing else will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.