PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Just opened a tin of this today. I have developed a taste for a good VA but my first impression is very lacking. I will continue to see if it will grow on me as did Royal Yacht but this is the weakest, most tasteless tobacco I've ever had. I almost tasted hay but I wasn't sure. That's how bland it was. I tried to make it bite me as others have described and it wasn't any worse than any other I've tried. Good news was the Acadian Perique that I have bought a ton of is from 6/09. No wonder it tastes so good. So not all was lost today.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
I actually enjoy Virginia No 1, it's very simple. It never bites even a little and it burns well. I agree that the taste is bland, but it ages pretty well, and if you can get your hands on some blending perique(4noggin) you can work out the ratio that works for you and make a very good blend. I guess you can consider this tobacco a blender rather than a straight smoke,

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
This was my first forays into Virginias. At the time it frustrated the piss out of me. I'd get these brief moments of "Oh...sweet!" followed by a lot of hot air. I was still having a hard time with sipping back then (still working on it).
It lead my down the rabbit hole to Va/Pers and Va/Per/Cavs.
I should go back and revisit it.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
VAs need one more thing to make them fantastic :) .... AGE. Keep it for ten years or so and try again!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Ya. A bit of a rant on my part. Please excuse.

(I had earlier consumed some Chinese carry-out that was loaded with MSG. Makes me antsy and impatient.) :D
I know Latakia can be a joy to smoke, but folks haven't a ghost of a chance, excuse the pun, to enjoy what Virginias have to offer.

I think there are analogs in the wine and cheese worlds too.

lumberjakpipester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2012
+1 to what cortez said, I find that latakia is, like many joys of life, is better enjoyed in moderation. It's kinda like getting a ghosted mouth but after a night's rest it's fine, that is why, for me, Lat heavy blends are better enjoyed late during the day Vs virginias in the morning and afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.