Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
36 tins wow! I'd buy that much myself if I had the $. Well worth stocking up on though!

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
36 tins eh? That's a pretty good haul Peck! I grabbed a tin from SP this weekend to try, lots of good cheer here for it so I thought it must be good stuff.

Dec 24, 2012
I think it's a classic blend that will only get better with age.
I was kicking myself the last time it was in that I didn't stock up. Wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.
My cellar goal is 20 pounds - or 88 tins.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've been wondering how powerful of a blend is Old Dark Fired? I bought a bit months ago but haven't opened it yet. If it's anywhere near Irish Flake I might just trade it away as I have very low nicotine tolerance.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
You can never have too much ODF in my opinion, nice score peck.
-Well said cigrmaster!
ODF is good stuff. I have about 3 pounds squirreled away. Strength-wise I would say somewhere below Irish Flake. I'm not a good judge of tobacco strengths as I don't seem to be affected by the nicotine in ways I can consciously detect or measure. Other than the mild urge to enjoy another bowl after some time has past. :D

May 31, 2012
MB ODF is one of my favorites, I'm hoping Mac Baren will develop more British-style steampressed blends in the same vein as ODF.
From their website:

This blend is the 5th of the HH tobaccos. It is considered to be an English-style blend but, without Latakia. The meaning of “English-style” is because the techniques used in the production are very similar to how English factories used to produce tobacco in the past.
HH Old Dark Fired is a bold flake of dark-fired burleys in a well-balanced unity with Flue-cured Virginias. This flake is Hot Pressed, meaning that during the pressing, heat is added by steam to the tobaccos which causes the tobacco to intensify the marrying process giving us a bolder tobacco. The robust, earthly flavour of the dark-fired burleys shines through in the taste, and you will experience a deeply satisfying smoke indeed.

...and this great review should ease any concern about a nicotine wallop, Roth is correct classifying it as a medium-strong and it's just about perfect in my book...
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/mac-baren-hh-old-dark-fired-pipe-tobacco-review/

Flavour Profile: Peterson Irish Flake is bold, brash and kicks you in the tastebuds with dark-fired goodness. HH Old Dark Fired, however, offers a more subtle, slightly sweeter, and slightly "cleaner" flavour profile. If I were pushed, I would call the latter the "refined brother" of the former.

Nicotine: Peterson Irish Flake is a nicotine powerhouse. HH Old Dark Fired borders on being a nicotine powerhouse. That said, I can smoke HH Old Dark Fired throughout the day - where as Peterson Irish Flake is restricted to after-meals-only for me.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I personally do not find Old Dark Fired to be strong. I would say that it holds its own, but a single bowl should not make one feel out of sorts if they have a decent tolerance. As an all day smoke, YMMV!
If you find something like FVF strong on the other hand - maybe ODF is not for you...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Just came across this MacBaren video tour where ODF's production process is described -- including the extraordinary age of some of the leaf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U04iyB57xx8.
Bob

Dec 24, 2012
I went a little crazy. Total of 80 tins on the way. This will put me at 105 tins. Likely enough to survive the tobacco apocalypse.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, 105 tins is 23 pounds, that is a lot for one blend. I have it figured out that if you have a rotation of around 23 blends 12 pounds of each is a good 25 year supply. Now I know you are younger than I am so you may need to be thinking of a 35 year supply but even at that 15 pounds of each should cover you. Now you better be smoking 3-4 bowls a day or you are going to be sitting on a 50 year supply very soon.
I am suddenly feeling very inadequate with my 65 tins. But my dick is still bigger than yours. lol

Dec 24, 2012
Cigrmaster, with respect to your last statement, I would beg to differ. Perhaps we should have a bet? I am shy, however, so I only plan to take out enough to win the bet.
Harris, I agree with you, but I don't have 23 blends yet that I would call regular smokes. More like about 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.