PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

I've been meaning to try this for a long time now, but never got round to it for one reason or another. Then last week a friend in Denmark sent me a sample (thank you William), and in a bizarre omen from the gods of the pipe another chum in the US also sent me a sample (thank you Troy).
This was a totally unexpected but most pleasant and welcome surprise.
To the point. These flakes are beautifully presented in typical MacBaren style - they are a beautiful dark colour like Irish Flake, but seem to be a thinner cut and break apart more easily.
The aroma is a fresh rich earthy densness that just invites you to breath in deeply, hold, and very slowly exhale, before hurrying back for more. This is a quality tobacco, oozing class, but not afraid to rumble if the company requires it.
First bowl I did a fold and stuff in a beautiful Danish acorn, fairly loosely packed (as is my preference). Charring light produced a good quantity of smoke of a fairly solid consistency, full of flavour - a good tobacco honesty, with a healthy dollop of what I think was a virginia sweetness. Let it go out. Sit for a bit and admire the pipe, letting the tobacco rest.
True light and good, dense smoke, with huge amounts of flavour, deep tones, with what I can only describe as a fizzy sweetness coming through. A few draws in and it's out!!! Turns out it's a bit of a devil to keep lit. May be my packing, my smoking technique, the moistness of the flake, or a combo of all three. But, I never fight it, and don't care about having to relight.
The flavour seemed to be fairly consistent all the way down - a beautiful solidity that I can't quite put my finger on, with the sweet virginia singing gently along in accompaniment, maybe a little more softly towards the end.
A beautiful, smooth, strong smoke - immensely satisfying. Absolutely no bite or harshness, even when pushed a little. In fact, it was so good I loaded up immediately and set-to again.
Second bowl was rubbed out fully. It took light very easily, still needed a few relights, but fewer. Again, maybe packing, moistness or method. Reckon it was a bit moist, and I do pack light. I also like my tobaccos to get barely smoldering - gives me more flavour - so I tend to relight a few times anyway.
Fully rubbed out produces a sweeter smoke - but not vastly sweeter. The deep tones are still very much there, just the virginia is a little more forward. Just as smooth, just as gentle as the folded flake. This is completely at odds with the impression the flake gives when removing it from its packaging - it looks strong (it is), rough (nope), harsh (never), ready for anything (I think it is, y'know). This is a smoke you could use all day. Perpetration method produces enough of a difference to suit varying moods.
I think I have really fallen for this tobacco. I like dark, strong tobaccos, but have been getting into light, bright VA's lately. This has definitely drawn me back to the dark side - Irish flake didn't quite manage this and it's a beautiful tobacco - a good glass of mature, full bodied port after a heavy meal - ODF is the Christmas Ale you wish your local brewery made available all year round.
Worth a try! Bravo MacBaren - another one I'll be buying from you !!!!!!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for doing this really nice write-up. I just love this stuff too. Not only is this a winner in its own right,

but it is half the cost of Capstan Blue -- another contender on the dark side -- and ⅔ the cost of SG/FVF. In my book

that makes it a compelling choice.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
One of my favorite tobaccos to come out in the past few years. It gets even better once its had some time outside the packaging. The bulk flakes are cut thicker, about the thickness of two tinned flakes, and longer. When you open the package you are greeted with a beautiful picture of uniformly cut flakes with a nice "grain" pattern of the tobacco.
Thank you for the nice review. I think I will pack some up now.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Mac Barens are a mainstay in my rotation, especially their flakes and coins, though I must admit I've not tried this one yet. My mouse has hovered over the "add to cart" button many times, just never pulled the trigger. I'm sure I'll try it at some point though, as it sounds very tasty and gets excellent reviews.
I generally find Mac B flakes and coins to be at an acceptable moisture level straight from the tin/jar, but I tend to relight several times as well. The way I see it, perfection can't be rushed! The slower the smoke, the better the smoke!
Nice review, it makes me wish I had some on hand!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Great write-up Klause! I just finished a tin of this myself, and I love noting the similarity in experience of the flavor profile when I read other folks' impressions. Keep your eyes on the homepage, in fact.... :wink:

K

klause

Thanks for the comments gentlemen - much appreciated.
Trailboss, thanks for the link. I think I need to start listening to the show a bit more often.
Romeo, I look forward to what is to come. Keep up the great work.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Nice review. Its been a while since I've had some, so I just ordered some of the bulk ready rub from SmokingPipes the other day. I'm curious to see if there is any difference between the flake vs the ready rub. I'm guessing not, but we'll see.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Nice review, it makes me grateful for the 3 tins I have but haven't even opened to try yet.
I hope you put that on luxury tobaccos review which is part of this site or an extension of it I believe, as it needs to grow in size.

Status
Not open for further replies.