Tags:   

MacBaren Navy Flake jarring?

(9 posts)
  1. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hey pipers.
    I have acquired some of MacBaren's navy flake. It is easy to handle and smokes well. The topping, however, is a little too much for me. Do you think this blend would benefit from jarring? I think it is mostly burley with some virginia and danish cavendish.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jar it... Even if it doesn't improve much, your taste will definitely change over time.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree. Keep it around. It will mellow and your taste will develop. Try it in a year or two and it could be a whole new day.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

I recently had a sample of that blend that had been jarred bulk at the tobacconist. I didn't think the topping was too heavy, but I'm not sure how it compares to yours. Maybe the jarring allowed it to mellow a bit.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Navy Flake becomes transcendental with age. Truly. Jar it up, come back in 15 years. Magic. I bought a very old tin at Chicago a couple years ago, we cracked it and passed it around... everyone who got some figured it was maybe the best thing they'd ever smoked.

That said, Navy Flake does VERY well with a little air... come back to it in a couple weeks and you may find that things have settled out nicely. I used to think this was malarkey, but have had enough recent experience where blends "opened up" after we opened the tin (and smoked immediately).

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How about unopened tins? Should I move the tobacco to jars? I'm a novice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. saltedplug

saltedplug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fanatics trust nothing to the contrivances of man such as tins and jar everything. But most tins will hold up over time, and the cautious check them several times a year while the spendthrift don't bother.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, just read some advice from mr. Pease on aging. He says to let it sit in the sealed tin.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They'll be fine. I've got tins from 10, 15 years ago, they are fine.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   davidy97, georged, dcon, canucklehead, hauntedmyst, tbradsim1, americaman, geopiper, heeman, upnorth1, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, npod