PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
While mowing the backyard this evening, I had my third or fourth bowl of Scottish Blend and I have to tell y'all that the more of this I smith me the more I'm liking it. I loaded up my old estate sale Tinderbox Milano straight billiard(or Lovat, I'm not really sure what shape it is but it has a decent sized bowl) and set off to mowing. The initial light was a bit harsh but as the bowl progressed the tobaccos settled down and a began the get a variety of different flavors. Citrusy tart/sour then some sweet and toasty flavors. I noticed that when the pipe was barely lit to almost going completely out the flavors intensified. As a matter of fact I noticed that on a couple of occasions I was puffing and enjoying the flavor while the pipe had been out for a few minutes. I only had to relight 3 or 4 times and the bowl lasted a good 90 minutes before things started getting a little ashy tasting and it finally went out for the last time with some light grey ash, some dottle and a very small amount of unburned tobacco in the ashtray. This is turning out to be a very enjoyable blend.

jfred

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Thanks for the nice review.

I tried this Mac Baren while I was still struggling with endless re-lighting, tongue bite and general agony, and kinda gave up on it. This inspires me to give it another go.

fetidbog

Might Stick Around
Aug 21, 2016
Jfred, I am by no means an expert when it come to pipe smoking. I had read all the reviews about MacBite etc and was a little dubious about trying this blend. So I just took it slow and have had no real tongue bite with this or with Plumcake either. It got a little "spicy" and tongue tingley from time to time. But nothing unmanageable. This bowl lasted a solid hour and a half. Good stuff.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
On tobaccoreviews this one has the highest number of reviews of all the MB blends listed there. Worth to try, it barely has any added aroma. My favourite OTC blend.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Has like 20 ingredients.What a technique the OP has to be able to mow while smoking at a smolder! Awesome!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This is a classic blend that has been around for decades, and is popular the world over. I don't smoke a lot of it, but it is always an enjoyable smoke. It ages beautifully, as well. The last tin I smoked had been in my cellar for ten years.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The Flake is the same stuff, just flake instead of loose. Both age incredibly, and old Mixture is a treat for sure. I've told many folks that Mixture is what taught me to smoke - it's unforgiving in that if you puff it hard, the flavor disappears almost totally, and it will bite. But if you slow down... it's huge. Like, it has so much flavor and so varied that it can be overwhelming. When I took the ultra-slow-burn technique to other tobaccos... presto, they all taste incredible. I understand that not everyone "gets" Mac Baren, but boy, if you do, there's nothing like 'em.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Scottish Blend,Golden extra and The Harmony are the three most popular basic blends by Baren, available almost everywhere in the world.And each of these benefit from ultra slow smoking cadence,lighter packing and some airing prior to smoke.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Scottish Blend,Golden extra and The Harmony are the three most popular basic blends by Baren, available almost everywhere in the world.
I'll take the Golden Extra and The Harmony (Symphony) over the Scottish Blend, but that's just me.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is a blend that ages wonderfully. In 2012 I found a tin that I had left in my parents' basement in 1977 when I moved out of the house. It took a lot of effort to get the tin open but the reward was well worth the effort.

You can see what 35 years of age does to a tin if you compare the picture below to a new tin's contents.

BTW, the smoke was incredible and the tobacco was still "fresh".
71rUUTn.jpg

Reactions: john19

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i assume 149 is the price !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i have a tin & it is a bit spicy for me - feels like excessive perique although there is none in it - maybe too citrusy for my pallet.

will try it again now - i do like "mixture modern" - just not so citrusy. a very nice tobacco almost a pure tobacco flavor.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon for two weeks in Scotland and spent an inordinate amount of time this afternoon picking out the pipes and tobacco to bring along. How in the world did I not think to bring Scottish Mixture? I've got three pounds of the stuff and I love it! And of course, I'll need to bring some McConnell Scottish Flake or Cake. And Bagpiper's Dream. Or maybe CPCC Scottish Woods or Drucquer and Sons Blairegowrie.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I tried this for the first a few months ago.

Since then I’ve smoked it 2-3 times a week.

I guess the flavors are complex which is another way of saying sometimes the puff is sublime, sometimes it is wtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.