PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
These flakes are truly delicious -- MacBaren outdid themselves, and produced something far better than the ready rubbed version:
For those who appreciate flakes with dark fired leaf, MacBaren's "HH Old Dark Fired" presents a unique treat: a sweet, yet flavorful and dark, flake which delivers consistent flavor to the bottom of the bowl. Unlike the ready rubbed version of this blend, the flakes are moist and fragrant, and as a result flavors other than the smoky dark-fired work like a chord along with that august note. In this version, the Virginias come forth and complement the dark fired, creating a flavor more like molasses or barbecue than the straight smoky version in the rubbed out. The first light brings a sweet taste, then the tangy smoked dark fired, and then the two fuse. While I was not hugely won over by the ready-rubbed version, this flake fits in with some of the best English and Irish flakes for a consistent but textured smoke.
Thanks to PipesMagazine.com forum member "JeffF" for this sample.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5214#review88941

Jun 4, 2014
Nice review, ODF is one of my favorite blends. I also noticed the flake and ready rubbed versions are very different. The sad thing is that it's a post 2007 blend so in the future we may have to smuggle it in like some people do with cigars from that island south of Florida.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Nice review ... another favorite of mine!
I think I burned out on it after it first came out
Me too but I changed it up to a "cooler weather" smoke reserved for Fall and appreciate it more now.

Also, just a single year in a jar does some really nice things to those flakes! :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Fell in love with ODF back in 2012, and always have a few pounds on hand. Good stuff!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I have 3 tins of the flake from 2013, I bought a pound of what cup o joes had listed as odf flake and was expecting a pound of flakes but got a pound of the ready rubbed, then after saw another thing under bulk odf for the one pound box. After emailing cup o joes and telling them this 3 years ago now, as well as the fact their Newminister round slices had the description of LBF and still nothing had been done about it I gave up on them

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I've been meaning to pick up some of this for a while--it sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the review. I have to stop coming on the review forum, though--it's inciting my TAD to unseemly proportions. :lol:

trucha

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 26, 2013
So is the ready rubbed very different from the flake? I am just about to order the pound to save some $$. Maybe I should just order a few tins since it is my favorite blend.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
@Trucha you can order the one pound box of flakes, it will say flakes by macbaren. Most vendors correctly have it ready rubbed vs. the flake, just not cupojoes.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
It's 1 of only 2 blends I currently smoke. So, obviously a favorite of mine but am smoking RR. Had the flake too and, while the flake seemed a tad stronger as flakes would tend to, don't see a lot of difference between the 2. If this puppy is gone in the near future due to it being post-2007, I'll be crushed.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So is the ready rubbed very different from the flake?
Yes. Both are good. The flake is sweeter and fuller in taste, where the ready rubbed gives more of that dark fired full-bore flavor.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yes I cant argue, very nice tasting blend and flake,But unfortunately, it makes my head turn and body to sweat if a full bowl is smoked,similair effect I've gotten with that Peterson Irish Flake,seems I'm better of leaving them alone for good. After trying several tins of Mc Dark FiredI had to sell 'em away,but I'm new and scarey to high nicotine tobacco,despite I can smoke most any cigar and strong Ryo cigarette and that famous Usa unfiltered Old Gold straingh with no abovementioned issues, funny thing,aint it

Status
Not open for further replies.