PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Bradley got me interested in this blend and told me to try Cupojoe's. Well I ordered 2 one pound bags and one tin. Bags went backordered and they mailed the tin. I checked around other sellers, all out of stock. I emailed MacBaren when I saw Highland wasn't listed on their site, and got a reply this morning, it is discontinued. Called COJ and will find out tomorrow when Cupojoes's gets in their order, if my 2 bags are included. :wink:

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Subscribed! I would want to order some also while available. I've never tried their aro, Scottish Blend Mixture. I wonder if it is being discontinued as well?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Not a Highland smoker, but it is weird when "an old friend" disappears.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I liked the Highland Blend, but there are other similar blends out there. Solani 131 is such, and the McClelland Stave aged 35th anniversary Virginia is also in that vein. I found also that taking some Peter Stokebye Luxury Navy Flake, and adding a few drops of scotch to a cotton ball, then jarring it for a month, also produces a wonderful smoking tobacco.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I enjoy the HH Highland and will miss it .

I have a half a dozen tins put up which

Should last a while. It's a

Companionable blend that doesn't need age.

Mike S.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Highland is a good one, and I'll hate to see it go.

I've got about 6-8 tins put up, including some limited edition signed ones. They should last a long time.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I didn't have chance to try HH Highland, but I will miss the HH Mature Virginia, also discontinued early this year.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/mac-baren-discontinuing-some-blends#post-532294

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I haven't lost a favorite tobacco yet. But I do feel sorry for those that do.
But, of course, it all comes down to economics. A manufacturer discontinues a less than popular item or, worse case, the manufacturer itself goes belly up and assumes room temperature.
I enjoy several somewhat obscure blends which might not be around for the long haul and I'm doing my damnedest to lay in a supply. (If you hang around long enough you'll eventually learn that life is unfair, the table is always tilted and your participation ribbons are worth shit.)
When you find a blend you like, start laying it aside. I can assure you, with a 100% degree of certitude, tobacco won't be getting any cheaper.
Fnord

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
MacBaren's HH Highland blend was one of the first two tobaccos that I tried when I took up pipe smoking almost 2 years ago. It is still my favorite in spite of tasting many other fine tobaccos. Unfortunately, my budget, priorities and newbie shortsightedness prevented me from buying up a good cellarfull. I think I may still have a bowl's worth of that first sample left. I don't know that I'll ever smoke it, just so that I can say that I still have a little left.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I just ordered 4 tins from CupOJoes. Not sure if it was the last of what they had. I got the feeling they were holding some back, maybe.... It would be worth someone checking out. The blend has been discontinued by MacBaren. 8)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well that's disappointing news. I really like the Highland blend. I heard earlier in the year that it and Mature Virginia were gonna be discontinued, but I asked to different tobacconists and neither one said they had heard anything about it and were still able to order it. One tobacconist told me that it would be stupid to discontinue the Mature Virginia as its one of the best Virginia's on the market. So I figured the rumor was just a rumor. I guess I should have stocked up on those blends. Well, I guess I'll have to go hunt for some Highland blend now.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Was able to get the last two tins of Highland blend from Mars Cigars & Pipes as they are now out of stock. Smoking Pipes, 4Noggings, Milan Tobacconist, Pipes and Cigars, Cigars and Pipes (Park Lane Tobacconist), BnB Tobacco, are all out of stock as well. The only other place I found it available still is Cup of Joes. I'm not sure if the above mentioned tobacconists will be getting any more in stock, so if you want some you better get on it. Just a heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.