PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I have seen many people spiking their blends with Perique lately. Everything from Carter Hall to dark Burley. I have attempted it in a few situations, but always get wrapped up in trying to add other things and create a new mixture. Too damn complicated.
Anyone ever tried adding a bit of the Louisiana goodness to MacB Golden Extra? It is one of my favorites for a basic, all day Burley smoke. I would imagine that a touch of the spice might be nice.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Sounds like a winner to me. I've also tried it with Latakia -- it tasted like a sweet, straightforward burley with Latakia (imagine that), but was interesting, nonetheless. I think Perique would work a lot better.
Let us know how it turns out.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Jeez, I guess I should have thrown Stonehaven or Penzance in my title. Maybe more people would have looked.
Added some Perique to the Golden Extra yesterday. Mixed up about an ounce total, with 10% of it Perique. Smoked some last night and it was pretty good. Always amazed how much just a bit of Perique can change the profile of a blend.
Smoking some more this morning and same opinion. Never good with flavor descriptions, but it adds a sort of sweetness to the blend. May be a bit of an extreme comparison, but it's like the difference between drinking hot cocoa made with water vs. made with milk. More rounded and deep. GE has a touch of sweet on its own, but its on the edges.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like a lot of VaPers, but I have to admit that I don't really understand perique very well. I like it, just don't understand it. It packs some ooomph in something Escudo, while it's like sweet dried fruit in Anni Kake (in what I've read is a significant proportion in the blend). Whatever....I certainly enjoy discovering how it presents itself differently.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I have always been intrigued by how it presents in Burley blends. I tend to find that it more often leans toward the dark fruit, figgy flavors than it does toward the peppery spice. It's an interesting beast for sure.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That rings true for me, skraps. Have you tried Old Joe Krantz? It's a raw, natural tasting burley, with perique, but if you're a burleyphile like me, you'll like it.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
That rings true for me, skraps. Have you tried Old Joe Krantz? It's a raw, natural tasting burley, with perique, but if you're a burleyphile like me, you'll like it.
One of my favorites. I opened some last week that is from 2009. Amazing. That little bit of red VA ages nicely and takes some of those rough edges off of the blend. I like it just as much fresh though, so either way works for me.
Anyone that likes Burley and Perique owes it to themselves to try this blend. With 25% of the Louisiana spice in it, it will give you a jolt for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.