PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyder71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2011
Can anyone compare the two for me? I love my PA and want to see if I can find a cheaper choice that will be similar enough that I won't miss the PA. I have read all the reviews I can find but wanted some member input if possible. Thanks all!

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I picked up a tin each of McB's Burley London Blend and the Mixture Scottish Blend several months ago.

I felt the London had a huge flavor as compared to PA, burley nutty, chocolaty etc.
Taste wise I think it's far ahead of PA, unfortunately I'm one of those that suffers from the dreaded McB Bite Syndrome. I can't smoke em' at all, hell just smelling an open tin of Mac Barens sets fire to my tongue!

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Ahh, well mouth soreness is an issue for me as well. I especially cannot smoke any aro's. My Doc thinks I am allergic to Propaline Glycol and the baccy's that contain it set my entire mouth on fire! I like that PA is a fairly mild smoke, and unless I just smoke too much in a day it never bothers me, but sometimes wish it was just a touch more robust.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
The PG can be a problem also for sure. I think that's what finally put me off of PA as well.

I went through several large tubs of PA, loved the stuff. And then out of the blue it started to make my mouth and throat feel tight and gummy. This as I said after smoking a few pounds of the stuff. I ended up giving my last tub to my brother in-law.
Paul, hope you're able to enjoy the McB's when you get it! Aside from the bite it gives me it really is very tasty stuff.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
I haven't tried London Blend yet but may I suggest you try the Mac Baren Golden Extra. The tin smells like pure chocolate and the smoke has that wonderfully sweet cocoa and nutty taste that's reminiscent of PA. I've been meaning to write a review of it as it is easily in my top 5 list of all time greats. Especially if you love burley!
I haven't experienced the dreaded "MacB bite" yet with any of their blends. I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones? :)

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
Sorry to hear Spyder is allergic to the propaline glycol - one would think that would nix a lot of blends for you .

Yeah it does. The Dr and I are assuming that is what it is but not sure. The only thing I am sure of so far is that EVERY aro I have tried hurts my mouth. Some I can tell after a couple puffs and others not till after Im done with the bowl. Straight matures Va's hurt me too no matter how I smoke them but it is a different feeling all together.

The PG can be a problem also for sure. I think that's what finally put me off of PA as well.

This makes me wonder because I sometimes smoke 8+ bowls of PA in a day and it's always more than six. Maybe it's a minuscule amount added with the sugar water? So far Sugar water is the only other ingredient I've gathered there is much consensus on, other than Burley of course.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I'm sure those such as myself that suffer from the McB Bite are in the minority, evidence the long term ongoing sales of Mac Barens. Ah well, my loss, your gain!
Spyder, I really don't know for a fact if PA has PG or not, simple supposition on my part. Suffice it to say, sad, sad, sad, I can't smoke it no more. )-:

kamikazesasquatch

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2011
I think I may be experiencing the bite : Been smoking it for 2 days now and my whole tongue feels like I drank coffee that was way too hot. Maybe I've just gotta get back into my smoking mojo but I don't think I was smoking it too hot.

Jul 12, 2011
Have to try the McB's Burley London, was looking into it and got H&H Classic Burley Kake (very nice bacci, one of my fav "go-to") as well as Solani Aged Burley Flake...man these are GOOD)

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I think Mac Baren does burley blends very well.
Golden Extra, Dark Twist, and London Blend, are great smokes.
Burley has an astringent quality and it has a different effect on different folks, either by drying the lips, throat, tongue, or whatever else in the mouth. I enjoy burley smokes, but I have to go easy with it. Its easy for me to over do.

spyder71

Jul 14, 2011
I have Dark Twist and think it's great. I included 1oz of the London and Extra in my order.

Status
Not open for further replies.