PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Here's my latest, a MacAuthor Style Bamboo. Small pot with a large smoke chamber. Easier to hold and smoke while hot. With a much thinner stem for smoother draw.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
A pleasure to smoke this one. The tobacco stays lit much longer in this design. I assume it's the air pressure difference between the chambers.
I'm still skeptical about the longevity of the node disk and adding a metal screen. It's wood is much softer than the walls. In a month of daily use, none of them burned through, yet.
That said, the same silica in the briars is also in the Bamboo. I have a Tom Thumb briar coming in, which is also thin walled and I'll have a good comparison. I also have five unfinished briar bowls on order to play with as well. I think the briar's strength is in density and thus, felt heat retention is less. We'll know soon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't remember seeing bamboo used in bowls before, so I am quite interested in that. They could always be lined with briar or Meerschaum, but if they work without liners, that is an alternate material that hasn't been used much. I'm surprised that Asian countries with bamboo everywhere haven't done pipes in a big way. The simple designs and earth tone colors really stand out.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Cajun, the holes, in the bottom of the upper pot, allow smoke to be drawn down into the lower chamber, where the stem is inserted. This is a reverse calabash design. Standard pipes draw directly from the pot. This designs allows for the complete burning of the tobacco, without sucking up ash and tars.
I'm sure that over time, ash and tar will collect in the bottom chamber. The chamber is plugged with a soft disk of willow. Which can be pushed out, using wire from a bare metal coat hanger via one of those holes.
I plan on using cork from a wine bottle to facility easier removal for cleaning. However, I'll have to buy a few bottles in order to extract the required materials. Sacrifices have to be made.
Ken. This was supposed to be a simple project. As soon as I fire up the CAD station, I'll check myself in at the appropriate care facility for a full evaluation. :)

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
mso. I did consider a plaster lining, (as used in cobs). However, the silica content in the walls (also found in briar), seems to hold up, so long as a proper cake is formed, (I coat the surface with raw honey to promote it). I believe Bamboo has the same heat resistance as with briar and oak.
I also heat cure the bamboo with a propane torch. This chemically alters and hardens the material, while burning off toxins and driving water out. However, this piece was not heat cured, but dried over the course of a month as a test. Yielding it's natural gold tone when polished. When smoked, I do not smell any of the odors encountered as with heat treating.
Bamboo has a soft, waxy feel, much like a crisp apple. It just feels good in the hand. I do agree with the earth tones. I use Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner to polish and keep them from drying further.
My oldest pipe is two months old, has a nice cake and is beginning to form a dark brown patina, much like Meerschaum, I guess.
I think bamboo is overlooked due to marketing appeal. Briar seems well established and offers more design considerations.

chiefwannapuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2017
Thank-you, cossackjack. I will look into those sources. I think a fat bottom cork will do the trick and save the effort of custom grinding plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.