Mac Baren's Plumcake - Why Do I Like It?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
This isn't a post about singing the praises of Mac Baren's Plumcake - there are already a couple of other threads for that. Rather, I'm posting to try to learn a little more about my hobby and to understand what types of tobaccos are in a particular blend and why I may or may not like them.
Plumcake is most definitely in the "like" list, in fact I think it's just become my new favorite. It had a wonderfully strong flavor, sweet without being cloying with just a hint of dried fruit. Oh, and lets not forget the rum. An amazing flavor that didn't taste at all chemical or artificial - something that tends to turn me off of most of the aromatics I've tried so far. Did I mention that I really, really like this stuff? :D
The question is, why? What's in Plumcake that's not in the other non-aro baccy's I've tried so far (Peterson's Irish Oak, Stokkebye's English Oriental Supreme and Luxury Bullseye Flake, Escudo, and three flavors of Frog Morton, although they're latakia based so they don't really count)? I noticed that Plumcake doesn't list any perique, and that it's also the only one I've tried with significant amounts of burley in it. Does the burley vs. perique make that big of a difference?
Thoughts, anyone?

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
To answer your question is within the blend itself. It's the way it is. Comparing plumcake to FMC and it's uniqueness and asking the same question will yeild the same answer. It's the way it is. I LOVE plumcake! I have three tins sitting wating for me to smoke them but I'm wating until cooler weather. I seem to enjoy it more in the cool temps rather than the hot/warm temps. This is just my $.05, eh.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I can't really answer your question, but will direct you to a thread here. Maybe it can point you to a similar blend.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/the-recommend-a-blend-thread
Also, if you've figured out what you really enjoy, why not stick with it? Grandfathers and old pipe smokers before us seem to have stuck with a handful of OTC blends, or even just 1 blend. Nothing wrong with knowing what you like. I would recommend buying more of it.
Smoking Pipes has it here
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=15569&where=addtowishlist
One final thought: Have you tried any other blends from MacBaren? I don't have much experience with them, but I would suggest starting there.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I read where some say Plumcake has changed since then, has it?
Well, since this is the first time I've smoked it, I couldn't exactly tell you lol.
What I want to know is how they make it taste like raisins, when there are obviously no raisins in it :D

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
Well, your "non" review has me so intrigued that it made me put Plumcake on my next order list. My wife curses you. :D

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I find their blends can smoke hot if you're not careful.
I don't know if it really smokes hot, or if it just tastes so good that you tend to puff faster than is wise lol.

drrock

Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
For me, MacBaren Plumcake is one of those blends that just has that unique something extra that make it deliciously different from many of the other baccys I enjoy.

It's the blend that's the difference - an example of the whole is more than the sum of the parts.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I tried it for the first time the other day, and I'm hooked. It has a unique taste, and is a bit more complex than the aros which I'm used to smoking. It was just about to go out, and I tasted a very concentrated fig taste...it was AWESOME. Haven't had that happen since, but I'm waiting for it.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Plumcake is one of my daily rotations, great tobacco. I sip this one as it can really bite.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Certainly a bit of a challenge, but worth the effort, it's one of those blends that beginners love to hate.
Guess my technique has improved quite a bit in the last couple of weeks, then. Plumcake is the first tobacco that I was able to smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl without getting even a little tongue bit.
I feel so proud :clap: :puffy:
P.S. Maybe it's because it tasted so good that I didn't want the bowl to end so I smoked very very slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.